Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work this morning. I get off expressway and get stopped by a light. There’s a car to my left and right. Basically I’m in the middle. Light turns green I take off and hear scrapping. Look to the left and that’s the problem. Clearly she came over the line. My lane assistance sensor hadn’t gone off because I was in my lane.

I called the police. The lady insists that I came over my lane. Not true. Of course police was like she couldn’t tell who was wrong. I was like she hit me, I was not over my lane. But whatever. Her car already had lots of damage. No mirror in her passenger side mirror. The mirror that scratched my car. A mess.

If you’ve had damage to your car, did you take it to the dealership for repairs? I think that’s where I prefer to go if possible.

61B4E89E-16BC-46EF-A052-002787DD86D7.jpeg
61B4E89E-16BC-46EF-A052-002787DD86D7.jpeg
41EB145F-7672-487C-BBEA-88D58F8C6AB5.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
646 Posts
After calling my insurance, I would take it to a body shop as our Hyundai dealership has no body shop service and they farm it out to local body shops anyhow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bummer sorry for your mishap. With the low pice of flash memory these days, it would have been nice to have a slot to add a chip just for these types of moments. Dash cams are ugly and don't have as many views.

·
Registered
274 Posts
After calling my insurance, I would take it to a body shop as our Hyundai dealership has no body shop service and they farm it out to local body shops anyhow.
That’s unfortunate. Glad it wasn’t anything worse.

Usually insurance would recommend body shops. Looking at the damage, seems just the body work. Make sure the mirror camera and other sensors are all good.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Glad to see you are both ok, could have been worse
a lot of people don't know what those lane lines are for at on ramps and such.
So many people just make turns and don't pay attention.
That's the problem with the way accidents are investigated to day. To bad you didn't have a dash cam,
But the cop wouldn't have wanted to spend the time to look anyway. been there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@MichelleG Same thing happened to me about 30 years ago, though I was just the passenger. In that accident, I was able to point out to the police where the impact took place by the debris in the road. After that, the driver of the other vehicle recanted his statement. Did you happen to take pictures at the accident site with your phone?

At least where I live, most dealerships no longer do bodywork. I would start with your insurance company as they have "preferred body shops" to take your car. You do NOT have to use their "preferred" shop but if you do they guarantee the repair for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's the problem with the way accidents are investigated to day. To bad you didn't have a dash cam,
But you know who would have wanted to see the dash cam footage? The insurance company. In an accident like this, that’s whose opinion matters. Even a front facing camera only would have shown whether or not the OP stayed in the lane. I have narrowly missed a handful of wrecks that my dash cam footage would have shown the actual fault. I’m grateful I’ve never had to use it, but if I did, I’d be covered. I can’t recommend a dash cam enough.

For example:

Not exactly the same thing but that’s the only one I put on youtube.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL
87 Posts
I really wish manufactures would put a USB outlet on the top of the windshield (maybe with the overhead lamp/moonroof button area) for dash cams.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! My Hyundai dealership does have a body shop. I'm gonna wait for the police report, call her insurance and see what they say although I think I'm gonna have to file a claim against my insurance. Her word against mine. I'm hating that. As you can see her car is already banged up and she will continue on. I'll have to pay $250 deductible, get rental car and so on and so forth. It will be ok.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to look into the dash cam listed below... Black Vue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@MichelleG Same thing happened to me about 30 years ago, though I was just the passenger. In that accident, I was able to point out to the police where the impact took place by the debris in the road. After that, the driver of the other vehicle recanted his statement. Did you happen to take pictures at the accident site with your phone?

At least where I live, most dealerships no longer do bodywork. I would start with your insurance company as they have "preferred body shops" to take your car. You do NOT have to use their "preferred" shop but if you do they guarantee the repair for a longer period of time.
Yes, I took pictures of her car and mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to look into the dash cam listed below... Black Vue.
Online lists the Black Vue was $400. It looks like it is for both cameras. How do I know which one to purchase? Do I need cables? Can you provide me with everything I need? Will have to have someone install it? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Online lists the Black Vue was $400. It looks like it is for both cameras. How do I know which one to purchase? Do I need cables? Can you provide me with everything I need? Will have to have someone install it? Thanks!
I used Black Vue in the past, they are good but expensive. Now I am using different brand which cost me around $200 and got 4K quality (on eBay: 70mai A800S GPS 4K Smart Dash Cam, get the full set one with 2 cameras and the cable set).

Installation is pretty straightforward if you want to just plug that in to cigarette lighter; I asked professional to do it since I want all cables to be hidden, especially the back camera's cable that goes all the way to the front unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, I meant pictures of where debris would be on the ground, broken glass, plastic, lights, etc. it would show where the collision happened, your lane or her lane.
Morning!

No I didn’t. There wasn’t anything broken. Her passenger mirror literally just scrapped up against me. That damage to her car was already there. She didn’t even have a mirror on her passenger side. She probably should’ve been ticketed for that. It was gone from a previous accident, strangely on the same side that she hit me which was already banged up. So the gray/silver on the passenger mirror/frame is from my car.
Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Morning!

No I didn’t. There wasn’t anything broken. Her passenger mirror literally just scrapped up against me. That damage to her car was already there. She didn’t even have a mirror on her passenger side. She probably should’ve been ticketed for that. It was gone from a previous accident, strangely on the same side that she hit me which was already banged up. So the gray/silver on the passenger mirror/frame is from my car.
Thanks!
Right side mirrors are only needed for towing in almost every state...........if not every state.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smells like insurance fraud to me. Given the extensive existing damage on the other car, it can be pretty easily established that the driver at least has a propensity for getting into accidents. If they weren't her fault, insurance would have paid to fix her car, right? The fact that the damage is still there seems to indicate that either (A) She's a crappy driver who damages her own car and doesn't care enough to get it repaired, or (B) She uses her car to defraud insurance companies and keeps the cash. Who can say for sure, but she sounds like a scum bag, and the condition of her car seems to reinforce that idea.

The only reason I hate driving is because of other people around me. Pre-COVID was bad enough, but POST-COVID has been an absolute nightmare of asinine driving married with a fresh "I-Don't-Give-A-Crap" attitude. For some reason, driving is now super adversarial and everyone seems to think everyone else is out to get them - so road rage is out of control, and driving stupidity seems to have blossomed uncontrollably like a silent fart in a 40-floor elevator ride. I commute 54 miles each day and did so even during the height of the pandemic, so I got to watch this decay happen before my eyes. I can't decide which stupid I hate more: The illegal U-Turns just anywhere you like, or the idiots that turn on their turn signal as or after they start to turn. 🤬

As a result of the recent max extinction in driving civility, I installed an VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Channel Dash Camera+GPS with forward and rear-facing cameras. I run it in 2K60 mode up front for the best frame rate and the back gets me clear 1080P30 coverage. It has already saved my bacon once in a slow-speed rear-ender when I was stopped at a light and a Land Rover A-holed me at 15MPH. He said I "rolled into him" and even told the cop that, but when I lifted my tailgate and revealed a functioning rear-facing dash cam, the arsehole melted before my eyes and instantly changed his story, earned a ticket, and got to pay for $800 in damage to my Palisade. He rolled the dice and lost. After all, not many people actually have a rear-facing dash cam, right? To be fair, it was a pain in the butt to install, but I LOVE it. I even ripped a fingernail off routing the cable to the back of the car, but again - it was worth it! (and fingernails grow back).

Get a dash cam. I never see mine because of where I have it positioned behind the rear-view mirror, but it's there when I need it.

Also, look at buying the Dashcam Viewer Pro software written by a guy named John Coggi - Earthshine Software LLC. It is FANTASTIC and light-years better than any of the crap that Garmin has provided. It also supports lots of different Dashcams and it makes extracting important video extremely easy. It decodes embedded GPS data and shows it on a map, too. VERY fancy! VERY MUCH WORTH IT.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL
87 Posts
Looking for a good new dash cam... does the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Channel Dash Camera+GPS autmatically download over wifi when you get home?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts