Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

A new transmission....already

40K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  rtumark 
#1 ·
So my wife took her SEL in for service this morning. The car has less than 2700 miles on it, but during that time, she noticed that she was experiencing 'hard shifts', and sometimes 'no shifts', or a racing engine but going nowhere. Hmmmm....tranny slipping....already?

So after 8 hours at the dealership, she called to find out status. The Service Tech informed her that they were still working on the car, and would she be able to leave it overnight. She informed them that she needs the vehicle to get to work, so what was wrong with it?

'The technician says you need a NEW TRANSMISSION' WTF????? So I waited until she got home from the dealership, with a loaner Santa Fe. The tech told her that when they dropped the tranny pan, it was filled with 'FOAM'. They think a seal failed, and allowed air to get into the transmission - hence the foam. So they called Hyundai , and were told to go ahead and replace the transmission.

To add insult to injury - I talked her out of buying a Subaru Ascent - why? Because of all the CVT tranny issues they had. So now she is in a loaner, while her car is waiting for a replacement transmision. Not impressed.

#44 ·
That is good information. Plus the oil light flicker. It is possible that there is an intermittent grounding circuit or data bus problem that the Stop and go circuit completes when engaged that is common to all of them. Someone previously in this thread mentioned that the dealer tech found a bad, "corroded" connection.

#45 ·
I'm now nearing the two week mark and have to say I'm shocked at the lack of customer service on such a high tag purchase.
The service department is "positive" it's the transmission although they say they have never seen transmission issues on the Palisade, however Hyundia's warranty department continues to insist on additional testing which is delaying the repairs.
The dealership now says they do not do loaner cars at all. Hyundai customer care says they 'may' reimburse for rental costs but not until the repairs are complete...which means I'm making a car payment on a car I cannot drive and will soon be in my 3rd week of paying for a rental.
I've gotten better customer service when my food is wrong at a restaurant.

#46 ·
Screw Hyundai altogether! One of the repair guys walked me outside and told me that Hyundai keeps a lot of angry customers because they have a lot of engine and trans problems. He even stated that he just works there but he would never buy one himself or recommend anyone to! He also told me that he thinks i should trade in my Palisade and get something that has been around for a while enough to know the common pros and cons about the vehicle. And last but not least….he really laid it on me when he informed me that Hyundai doesn’t like to dig deep enough to find any issues unless an engine light or some other kind of light is on! So that was his off the record recommendation. So to sum it all up he basically told me that they’re not going to do anything about it unless there’s proof! So once again….SCREW HYUNDAI! $50,000 on a car that can’t even perform basic! Yeah it’s very fancy and luxurious but they did all of that only to leave out the most important things people want most in a car and that’s performance! This is my 1st and last car from them, I definitely will be trading that sometimey driving piece of rubbish in!

#47 ·
Your buddy there was talking like a flat rate tech. Tech's get paid for the job, not per hour. A good tech can make up to $100G in a good garage. A diagnostic job may pay between 0.6 and 1.0 flat rate hours. Without a valid code or the problem quickly manifesting itself, it could take hours. He'd be lucky to make minimum wage. He could make more money doing free oil changes and rotations. Sorry for your problems, but that is life for an auto tech. He needs to eat too.

#51 ·
Figured I owe an update after last service visit.
the tl:dr version is no change in situation. Have another appt set up for 11/20

Dropped car off for complimentary oil change, tire rotation and “left car for the day” per service manager after my last visit. He was going to “research with his tech line” on this visit.

I knew it wasn’t going to be good when I handed the service writer my 6 pages of notes for each time the transmission bucked and jerked. Day, time, conditions, speed and any other anomaly (like dashboard light flickering). Got blank stare.

Fast forward to end of day. Get call from service writer. Did oil change and tire rotation but service writer said they could not duplicate problem. I said thats all well and good but did you call tech line. He said we have to see the problem before we call. I said I gave you 6 pages of notes with problem and your manage drove car 3 weeks ago and felt it. He said he ask the service manager to drive it again. I told him i’d be there at 5:30 to have a pow-wow.

Get there service writer is giving me song and dance. Could not duplicate, yada yada. I said what were you going to do if you did duplicate. We already confirmed it’s not throwing a code, i gave you 6 pages of notes for each time it happened in past 3 weeks. I gave you likely combo of settings on car when it happens. He then tells me he could not make head or tails from the notes I gave him. I said why didn’t you call me and I would have walked you through them. Mind you it was date, time, speed, ISG on/off of when problem happened. Not too hard to comprehend. I say go get manager

Manager comes out has blank stare. I said you told me three weeks ago to make appointment and leave car for day so you could call tech line. Here is answer “I didn’t realize this was the car”. Ok, lovely. He says come back I tomorrow and i’ll squeeze you in. I said no, let’s make appointment. I want to do this right so you can do research. Plus I want to document few more times if it happens.

Here is the new bit of information hot off press. We’ve been leaving ISG on because it was bucking and jerking with it off. Wife tells me it happened the other day with ISG on. She’s livid. Wants car gone, etc. I told her the car has60,000 bumper to bumper, 100k on power train. We’ll get it fixed. That’s said it’s going to be a race against time as to when my patience runs out with this service group.

The saga continues

#52 ·
Take a video of the Palisade doing that. Show that to the dealership.
Have you filed for a complaint with the customer service number in the manual?
You may need to try a different dealership and show them the video
What codes show up when checked?
You can always ask some place like auto zone to scan for codes, it is free

#57 ·
An update to the situation I posted on above. Was able to finally get a good video of situation happening prior to a visit to dealership. Given the fact oil light and battery light flicker while it’s happening led me to believe it was something electrical and not transmission. Video of it happening is wild to watch.

Dropped car off today, shared video, service manager spent all day with it talking with Hyundai factory service engineers. He called me and they believe it to be the drive by wire gas pedal assembly. Apparently it’s happening to another vehicle. Part should be in Wednesday. We’ll see, but given the symptoms this passes smell test. I give the service manager a lot of credit for sticking with this and spending the day working it. If this is it I was make sure to give the proper kudos to the owner of the dealership. Stay tuned

#58 ·
An update to the situation I posted on above. Was able to finally get a good video of situation happening prior to a visit to dealership. Given the fact oil light and battery light flicker while it’s happening led me to believe it was something electrical and not transmission. Video of it happening is wild to watch.

Dropped car off today, shared video, service manager spent all day with it talking with Hyundai factory service engineers. He called me and they believe it to be the drive by wire gas pedal assembly. Apparently it’s happening to another vehicle. Part should be in Wednesday. We’ll see, but given the symptoms this passes smell test. I give the service manager a lot of credit for sticking with this and spending the day working it. If this is it I was make sure to give the proper kudos to the owner of the dealership. Stay tuned
Yes, i’m replying to myself. They installed part today and it didn’t work. Service manager now believes it’s a communication issue on the CAN bus. He’s been in near constant contact with Hyundai tech line. His comment to me is “this is going to take a while but i’ll get it fixed”. I really do not want to wait a while. I’ll open a case with Hyundai. I’ll be patient if they give me a rental car, but $30/day make in rental. Otherwise, i’ll Start exploring lemon law.

As I was walking out the door of dealership, I got to thinking about communication issue. I went back in to let him know I installed a carlinkit wireless car play adapter. I can’t see how it could be affecting things, but you never know. He’s going to try everything with the adapter disconnected to see if it makes any difference.

#59 ·
I’ll keep documenting even if no one is reading. Unsurprisingly, it was not the wireless car play adapter. Car did it with it unplugged (which I knew it would since it did it before, but wasn’t sure if it would change with new gas pedal assembly).

Service manager called me today. They were on phone with Hyundai all day. They were able to see the problem the scope. The car is losing the gas pedal signal. Now Hyundai wants to try a new front engine harness. Maybe comes in next week. Tells me I could come down and get it today and he’d call me when the harness comes in. I went to get in car to leave. It would not start. I had already sent my wife home and she was actually back at house. Not a chance i’m calling her back. She’s not happy with situation to begin with. I go back into service manager and tell him what’s going on. He has defeated look on face. Says he’ll take me home even though he lives in opposite direction but i’d Have to wait 20 minutes. 2 minutes later they got a sales guy to bring he home. He was happy as a clam. Got out 30 mins early and was going in same direction. So they’ve had car, monday, wed, thur, Friday, weekend, and likely all day Monday. And then when harness comes in another 2 days. I’m losing patience. Case is opened with Hyundai.

#61 ·
Checked on car this morning, I was mortified at the state of disassembly. The service manager said interior was down to firewall a few days ago. Will this car have gremlins for the rest of its life? I’ve never see a car so dissembled. He said they have to do similar for evaporator replacement. I don’t know...I don’t think I can keep this car after what I saw. Someone talk me off ledge. To make matters worse Entire engine compartment was disassembled

#62 ·
Last update and likely done with palisade. After 2.5 weeks of waiting and being told car was complete... it was taken for “nearly 100 mile test ride”. I Pick up car, stop to get gas on way home and pull into my garage. I smell that sweet syrup smell of antifreeze. Ugh oh. I looked under car and antifreeze is pouring out. Back to the dealer I go

Oh by the way, 2 weeks into waiting for a Hyundai case manager to call me after getting a case number assigned. This is not what I expected with this vehicle.

#65 ·
Ya we took it but not before we before drove mdx. Nice vehicle, 15k more. Same tech in palisade. The Acura sales guy was really trying to talk tech up. Even my wife said “my car has that now” a lot. Could not justify it the added dollars, so we’ll try palisade again.

It does seem like the wiring harness addressed the Can bus issues we were having. It’s funny how I initially thought it was transmission, but end up being loss of gas pedal input. It manifested as a complete car shuddering because it would get signal, lose it, get it, lose it, etc. Car would not move and it felt like a slipping transmission.

Car was never gonna be right give the level is disassembly i saw. I don’t care how good the technician was. And they blew the 1 shot to convince my wife it would with the leaking heater core after we picked it up.

As an aside, 3 weeks and still waiting for a case manager to call me. Was supposed to be 3 to 5 days after I got case. Now it’s just principle.

In the end, It was the lack of loaner car or clarity on rental reimbursement which really twisted me during this. During replacement negotiation, the owner of dealership said the pandemic has them upside down with cars. Was told they typically have loaners but not at moment . Hopefully I never have a need for 1 again.

And Hopefully this saga helps someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.