Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my wife took her SEL in for service this morning. The car has less than 2700 miles on it, but during that time, she noticed that she was experiencing 'hard shifts', and sometimes 'no shifts', or a racing engine but going nowhere. Hmmmm....tranny slipping....already?

So after 8 hours at the dealership, she called to find out status. The Service Tech informed her that they were still working on the car, and would she be able to leave it overnight. She informed them that she needs the vehicle to get to work, so what was wrong with it?

'The technician says you need a NEW TRANSMISSION' WTF????? So I waited until she got home from the dealership, with a loaner Santa Fe. The tech told her that when they dropped the tranny pan, it was filled with 'FOAM'. They think a seal failed, and allowed air to get into the transmission - hence the foam. So they called Hyundai , and were told to go ahead and replace the transmission.

To add insult to injury - I talked her out of buying a Subaru Ascent - why? Because of all the CVT tranny issues they had. So now she is in a loaner, while her car is waiting for a replacement transmision. Not impressed.
Was this AWD or FWD?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So my wife took her SEL in for service this morning. The car has less than 2700 miles on it, but during that time, she noticed that she was experiencing 'hard shifts', and sometimes 'no shifts', or a racing engine but going nowhere. Hmmmm....tranny slipping....already?

So after 8 hours at the dealership, she called to find out status. The Service Tech informed her that they were still working on the car, and would she be able to leave it overnight. She informed them that she needs the vehicle to get to work, so what was wrong with it?

'The technician says you need a NEW TRANSMISSION' WTF????? So I waited until she got home from the dealership, with a loaner Santa Fe. The tech told her that when they dropped the tranny pan, it was filled with 'FOAM'. They think a seal failed, and allowed air to get into the transmission - hence the foam. So they called Hyundai , and were told to go ahead and replace the transmission.

To add insult to injury - I talked her out of buying a Subaru Ascent - why? Because of all the CVT tranny issues they had. So now she is in a loaner, while her car is waiting for a replacement transmision. Not impressed.
I have a 2020 Palisade. Recently while driving home, I live in a very rural area, the alternator failed and the battery went dead. Prior to it going dead everything went crazy. One of the items was the transmission started to shift poorly and would rev the engine up as if a clutch was slipping. This would come and go. Using the paddles didn't improve anything. At best it made things worse.

Since I was stuck with a car that would not start I called my dealer and they immediately picked the car up. Replaced the alternator and told me the car was ready. I live about two hours from the nearest dealer. I went and got my car on a Saturday, happy to have it back. I really like my Palisade. However, about twenty miles down the road the transmission problem returned. Shifting hard and slipping significantly between gears. It was bad enough that the car was dangerous. It turns out the dealer had not driven the car after replacing the alternator. I guess I would not be surprised by that although I did tell them about the shifting issue.

After I returned the car they gave me a loaner, kudos for that. On Monday I was contacted with status that they could not duplicate the problem and I quote, that I had no idea how an 8-speed transmission worked. I found that rather insulting but we got through it. I do understand what a slipping clutch feels like especially when you just pulled out into busy traffic. After the rest of the day and no further contact I finally called the dealer rep again and was told that they could not duplicate the problem but that they were contacting Hyundai. I have been so pleased with the service from my dealer but this particular issue and being told that I was imagining my problem has really damaged my confidence in them. Telling me that it drives like all the other Palisades in the lot felt as if it was a dismissal of my complaints. I can tell you that it sure was driving differently from the first 9K miles.

Okay I know I complained a bunch. No more and will stick to the facts. The depleting of the power source clearly scrambled the way the shifting control for the transmission was working. Anybody experience anything similar? I do not think this is a fuel related issue like other similar posts stated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry for the delayed reply, [B]Z3K3R[/B] - ours is AWD.

sbotes - you aren't alone. We had a different dealer tell us that our's 'drives like all the other Palisades'. If that is a fact, then we must all have defective $40K + vehicles, or we don't know what we're talking about, or how to drive these cars.

When we took it back to the dealer we bought it from, we got the typical 'we can't duplicate the issue'. A few hours later, we received the phone call from Hyundai, repeating the message, and also to inform us that they would not be buying the car back from us, as the dealer told them the car did not have any issues.

While driving the car, I stepped on the gas to pass a slower vehicle. To no surprise, the RPM's shot up, while I maintained the same speed I was originally going. This allowed the vehicle I was trying to pass to merge in front of me - just when the transmission STOPPED SLIPPING. The Forward Collision-Avoidance did kick in, as I was slamming on the brakes to avoid plowing into the car.

So after checking my underwear, I took the car straight back to the dealership. And after the tech took it for a 15 minute spin around the block or to get lunch, I was told 'sorry, we can't duplicate the issue'.

Per my attorney, I am documenting every little bump, growl, hiccup, etc. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply, [B]Z3K3R[/B] - ours is AWD.

sbotes - you aren't alone. We had a different dealer tell us that our's 'drives like all the other Palisades'. If that is a fact, then we must all have defective $40K + vehicles, or we don't know what we're talking about, or how to drive these cars.

When we took it back to the dealer we bought it from, we got the typical 'we can't duplicate the issue'. A few hours later, we received the phone call from Hyundai, repeating the message, and also to inform us that they would not be buying the car back from us, as the dealer told them the car did not have any issues.

While driving the car, I stepped on the gas to pass a slower vehicle. To no surprise, the RPM's shot up, while I maintained the same speed I was originally going. This allowed the vehicle I was trying to pass to merge in front of me - just when the transmission STOPPED SLIPPING. The Forward Collision-Avoidance did kick in, as I was slamming on the brakes to avoid plowing into the car.

So after checking my underwear, I took the car straight back to the dealership. And after the tech took it for a 15 minute spin around the block or to get lunch, I was told 'sorry, we can't duplicate the issue'.

Per my attorney, I am documenting every little bump, growl, hiccup, etc. Good luck with yours.
Update on my transmission slipping issue. The dealer service manager was finally able to duplicate the problem. Hyundai is tracking sensors etc. At this time, unless something else changes, they are putting a new transmission in. Wish they would hurry. It was -24 this morning and I sure miss my remote start!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well still no Palisade and after replacing the transmission they are going to replace the transfer case. It has been a month and my car is only 6 months old. At least they are repairing things. Just hope they get it right this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At 4000 miles my tranny went out too. Explanation was a line didn’t get connected correctly causing all fluid to leave and stay within the under cover. Tranny went out because it burned from lack of fluid. What’s weird is no fluid ever leaked on my drive way and burning smell only started 3 days before the tranny went out. Waited 45 business days for the new tranny. Now it runs great but who knows if there will be further issues if it were truly the transmission or other faulty parts still being used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At 4000 miles my tranny went out too. Explanation was a line didn’t get connected correctly causing all fluid to leave and stay within the under cover. Tranny went out because it burned from lack of fluid. What’s weird is no fluid ever leaked on my drive way and burning smell only started 3 days before the tranny went out. Waited 45 business days for the new tranny. Now it runs great but who knows if there will be further issues if it were truly the transmission or other faulty parts still being used.
Another update, After two months of searching a tech finally found a corroded connection that was scrambling the computer. By this time the transmission, transfer case, an oil pump and alternator had been replaced. But the good part is that I have, almost unsolicited, received a buy back offer from Hyundai. I plan on another Palisade if I can find one. The dealer has been very good to me. Despite the issues I am happy with my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another update, After two months of searching a tech finally found a corroded connection that was scrambling the computer. By this time the transmission, transfer case, an oil pump and alternator had been replaced. But the good part is that I have, almost unsolicited, received a buy back offer from Hyundai. I plan on another Palisade if I can find one. The dealer has been very good to me. Despite the issues I am happy with my car.
I agree with you I love my car too and would absolutely want another one. The body style is pretty, the tech features are not found at that price point in other brands, and the inside of mine being almond leather with black floor boards and wood looking trim throughout is beautiful. Nothing in my eyes can compare for the price!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tranny issue. Not to add insult to injury - our 'newly replaced' transmission is already beginning to slip. At this point, I hope it keeps doing it, to get the 'lemon law' to kick in. Sucky part of that is - what do you have to look forward to - another one of these? And I'm sure there are many out there who disagree, and have had no issues with their cars. I'm happy for you, and may you never experience these issues with your cars. But if/when you do, know that you were not the first - and most likely not the last.

To Badamdeco, push them hard. These are your hard-earned dollars on the line, make sure you get satisfaction. It doesn't hurt to consult legal advice, too.
Can u please explain to me what your car was doing when the tranny started slipping? I just bought 2021 Palisade, it now only has 2400 miles and I am having transmission issues as well. This is not acceptable for the price, or any new car in general. But clearly it’s sounding like they need to do a recall on their transmissions.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Oh my go..The same thing is happening to me. FIRST new car I have had in my life. Bought the end of May. It started with the same racing engine issue. It's been at the dealership since LAST Friday and today they call me to tell me it needs a new transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can u please explain to me what your car was doing when the tranny started slipping? I just bought 2021 Palisade, it now only has 2400 miles and I am having transmission issues as well. This is not acceptable for the price, or any new car in general. But clearly it’s sounding like they need to do a recall on their transmissions.
I'm having the same exact issue...it's awful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2021 calligraphy. 9000 miles. Primarily wife’s car
We hate idle stop and go, would always turn it off when I drove the car. Transmission started doing the slipping thing around 7500 miles. Mostly around 45 to 50 miles per hour. Not all the time. Very random.

Brought to dealer. They reset the transmission adaptive codes, said “all was well”. Well on the ride home it was happening worse than prior, almost constantly . Oddly, Service manager said something to me when he was driving the car and it happened for him which might be a clue. Said it did not happpen when he turned off idle stop and go off, which I thought was odd because I always turn it off and if he was driving it pressing the button would turn it off. So I ask him why in the heck would he think to mess with idle stop and go. He says “just a hunch”.

So now rather than turn it off, I just leave idle stop and go on and it has not done it in 2 weeks. Maybe it’s a combo or resetting adaptive codes and leaving idle stop and go on? Who knows but I don’t like when it happens, but i’m documenting everything. I’m bringing back on Wednesday for oil change/tire rotation/Fabreeze for garlic smell and will ask him to research his idle stop and go “hunch”.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2021 calligraphy. 9000 miles. Primarily wife’s car
We hate idle stop and go, would always turn it off when I drove the car. Transmission started doing the slipping thing around 7500 miles. Mostly around 45 to 50 miles per hour. Not all the time. Very random.

Brought to dealer. They reset the transmission adaptive codes, said “all was well”. Well on the ride home it was happening worse than prior, almost constantly . Oddly, Service manager said something to me when he was driving the car and it happened for him which might be a clue. Said it did not happpen when he turned off idle stop and go off, which I thought was odd because I always turn it off and if he was driving it pressing the button would turn it off. So I ask him why in the heck would he think to mess with idle stop and go. He says “just a hunch”.

So now rather than turn it off, I just leave idle stop and go on and it has not done it in 2 weeks. Maybe it’s a combo or resetting adaptive codes and leaving idle stop and go on? Who knows but I don’t like when it happens, but i’m documenting everything. I’m bringing back on Wednesday for oil change/tire rotation/Fabreeze for garlic smell and will ask him to research his idle stop and go “hunch”.
Wow that is ridiculous. Whether stop and go is the issue or not, everything should work properly with it turned on or off! So many people are having transmission issues with these palisades that they need to recall the transmissions. Mines only has 3000 miles and my issue started at 2400 miles but it only has gotten worse. As of right now they still can’t find the issue which is odd because the repair guy drove it himself and said he said that he saw my concern only to give me the results that everything was in the green. It’s very frustrating especially with such an expensive car. If this isn’t rectified soon for me i will be trading my limited in for a Highlander. Good luck with all of your issues.

·
Premium Member
2022 Hyper White Calligraphy
147 Posts

It doesn’t matter what you buy - they all have issues - I do know from reading the forums and groups this is not typical. When people do have challenges I am reading Hyundai does try to fix them but some dealers just plain suck - if you have taken it in multiple times and you have records call the BBB and file a complaint - Honestly, I have seen more posts from people who love their palisades then this who do not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm finding lots of posts about issues with the transmission, however the dealership services department mentioned to me that "they have never seen this before". Hmmm interesting.
Meanwhile I'm out $900 in rental car fees and still have no estimated time on the repairs.

·
Premium Member
2022 Hyper White Calligraphy
147 Posts
Do you have rental coverage? Also, you may be able to push the issue for a loaner - maybe threaten BBB. I feel you pain. I blew an engine in an MKz and was out a lot of $$$ on the rental while they tried to prove it was my fault - no car for 4 weeks. It was brutal so I can really empathize.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow that is ridiculous. Whether stop and go is the issue or not, everything should work properly with it turned on or off! So many people are having transmission issues with these palisades that they need to recall the transmissions. Mines only has 3000 miles and my issue started at 2400 miles but it only has gotten worse. As of right now they still can’t find the issue which is odd because the repair guy drove it himself and said he said that he saw my concern only to give me the results that everything was in the green. It’s very frustrating especially with such an expensive car. If this isn’t rectified soon for me i will be trading my limited in for a Highlander. Good luck with all of your issues.
Stop and go is relevant. Stop and go shuts off the engine and also puts the engine into neutral to prevent the car from jumping when the engine restarts. If Stop and go is malfunctioning and engaging neutral the engine will rev and then, possibly, slam into gear at high RPM causing other damage. This might not be the cause of all transmission failures, there are a lot of parts in a transaxle, but it doesn't hurt to try turning the Stop and go off to see if it has an effect on the "slippage" over reving to have info for the service department.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Stop and go is relevant. Stop and go shuts off the engine and also puts the engine into neutral to prevent the car from jumping when the engine restarts. If Stop and go is malfunctioning and engaging neutral the engine will rev and then, possibly, slam into gear at high RPM causing other damage. This might not be the cause of all transmission failures, there are a lot of parts in a transaxle, but it doesn't hurt to try turning the Stop and go off to see if it has an effect on the "slippage" over reving to have info for the service department.
You realize he said the opposite, right? That turning stop and go ON made the issue go away. Not OFF.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts