Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed a 5600 mile trip from Glendale, AZ to High Point ,NC then to Syracuse, NY back to Glendale
5161 miles of that was Highway miles, which included trips over the 7200 ft. mountains in Flagstaff, AZ
included going thru the Cumberland Gap and thru the Great smoky Mountains.
438 miles were running around in the towns and cities along the way. Including a trip in to the Catskill Mountains
This is in a 2020 Palisade Limited AWD. the overall trip came out to 24.3 miles combined average. Which is
higher than the stated mileage of 24 just on highways. Several days on mainly flat stretches of highway we
got a little over 27 mpg.
Going from AZ to NC we had over 800 lbs. of extra weight in the 2nd and 3rd rows, Just my wife and I.
From NC to NY we had our luggage. My wife and me, Two grown adults weighing over 250 lbs. each
and a great grand daughter who came all the way back to AZ with us for the summer. Two adults stayed in NY
It was better than I expected

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Cool. We just did a 750-mile round trip during Memorial Day weekend. Mostly highway. 2020 Palisade Limited AWD as well. We got around 24mpg. Can't complain.

Very comfortable ride, of course. Adaptive cruise control is such a useful invention: you can drive without touching the pedals, which is so much more comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. We just did a 750-mile round trip during Memorial Day weekend. Mostly highway. 2020 Palisade Limited AWD as well. We got around 24mpg. Can't complain.

Very comfortable ride, of course. Adaptive cruise control is such a useful invention: you can drive without touching the pedals, which is so much more comfortable.
Once you learn to trust the HDA a little, makes a long trip a lot easier. Just wish it had an offset for the HDA speed assist.
I just set the Adaptive cruise 5 MPH over the speed limit and don't have to worry about cops. Steering is like super easy.
Nice to be able to take a drink without using my knees to steer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We went to Napa over the Memorial weekend and did some wine tasting at a few different wineries, gotta admit, the HDA is a very nice feature to have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We drove through the mountains of Killington, VT from Southern New Hampshire to Lake George, NY and round trip (400 miles) we averaged 28.7 mpg. But I was very gentle with the throttle, maintain the speed limit on grade and coast down to hit the next hill with some inertia.

2021 SEL AWD

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just completed a 5600 mile trip from Glendale, AZ to High Point ,NC then to Syracuse, NY back to Glendale
5161 miles of that was Highway miles, which included trips over the 7200 ft. mountains in Flagstaff, AZ
438 miles were running around in the towns and cities along the way. Including a trip in to the Catskill Mountains
This is in a 2020 Palisade Limited AWD. the overall trip came out to 24.3 miles combined average. Which is
higher than the stated mileage of 24 just on highways. Several days on mainly flat stretches of highway we
Going from AZ to NC we had over 800 lbs. of extra weight in the 2nd and 3rd rows, Just my wife and I.
From NC to NY we had our luggage. My wife and me, Two grown adults weighing over 250 lbs. each
and a great grand daughter who came all the way back to AZ with us for the summer. Two adults stayed in NY
I can't compete with the miles you traveled but I just completed a 300mi trip to Myrtle Beach and averaged over 30mpg. Mostly interstate miles, two people and the back fully loaded with luggage, food, laptops, etc. We usually make this trip about 4 times/yr and average about 26-28mpg. I can't explain the increase in mileage although I can offer a theory. Just before we left I searched for gas and the only station that we could find that had any gas at all had hi-test, so I filled it up. 2020 Limited FWD, ~10,000mi. Any thoughts?
MPG.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't compete with the miles you traveled but I just completed a 300mi trip to Myrtle Beach and averaged over 30mpg. Mostly interstate miles, two people and the back fully loaded with luggage, food, laptops, etc. We usually make this trip about 4 times/yr and average about 26-28mpg. I can't explain the increase in mileage although I can offer a theory. Just before we left I searched for gas and the only station that we could find that had any gas at all had hi-test, so I filled it up. 2020 Limited FWD, ~10,000mi. Any thoughts?
Any idea if the fuel contained Ethanol? Several of the gas stations near me sell ethanol-free premium for use in boats...

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL
36 Posts
Once you learn to trust the HDA a little, makes a long trip a lot easier. Just wish it had an offset for the HDA speed assist.
I just set the Adaptive cruise 5 MPH over the speed limit and don't have to worry about cops. Steering is like super easy.
Nice to be able to take a drink without using my knees to steer.
I find it pretty unlikely any company would want the liability of having you set an AUTO feature over speed limit. I wish too, but never going to happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find it pretty unlikely any company would want the liability of having you set an AUTO feature over speed limit. I wish too, but never going to happen.
top of the line Ford explorer and the Lincoln SUV offer offsets , As do several other manufactures They justify it by having offset both ways.
Good to know. I am about to do a roughly 2500 mile roundtrip from TX to FL and back
Route 10 should give you good gas mileage as 10 is fairly level compared to highways I took.
I drive over the speed limit and did a lot of mountain driving.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade SEL Moonlight Cloud
25 Posts
Any idea if the fuel contained Ethanol? Several of the gas stations near me sell ethanol-free premium for use in boats...
The octane level won't give better fuel economy. So you're just paying more for anything over 87. High octane is basically for vehicles that need higher compression to prevent knocking (like those with turbo chargers).

However, if you can get non-ethanol 87 at same price (or within 20 cents) as 10% ethanol blend, you'll get 5-10% better gas mileage and save money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I assuming it contained Ethanol since the pumps has stickers attesting to that. It was a 7-11 station.
MPG.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
175 Posts
Just did a 1,300-mile trip, and averaged around 25 mph, but at elevated speeds (it's 80 here in TX, so north of that :) ), and very strong head winds both ways, so it was an awesome mileage IMO. Had to downshift to 7th quite a bit (and sometimes even 6th), to avoid lugging the engine. My 2018 F-150 Platinum 3.5EB did about 13 in those conditions. Very pleased with engine performance too; it's better than I expected, for such a large and heavy vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gene -
Did you calculate you MPG using actual numbers of gallons from your fuel stops, or did you use the built-in fuel economy meter on the vehicle? Thanks. Asking because the built-in ones are notorious for over-inflating mileage. They do that because they under-read fuel flow. Every car I have ever owned with the built-in meter (every vehicle I've owned from the late 80s onward) overstated the fuel economy on the built-in fuel economy gauges. They were often 10-15% high. Just did a long, multi-thousands mile trip from FL to Maine and back in a rented Dodge Journey. The vehicle's "Lie-O-Meter" said 24.1 mpg. The actual amount calculated from the total gallons used on my fuel receipts calculated out to a much lower 21.0 mpg.
How about others here? ... Did you use the vehicle's buil-in fuel economy indicator, or did you do real calculations of total miles divided by total actual gallons used?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gene -

That's great to hear! WIthin 0.1 mpg is the most accurate one I have heard of. Fantastic. Still waiting for my Palisade to be delivered from the port. Driver shortage.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just did a 1,300-mile trip, and averaged around 25 mph, but at elevated speeds (it's 80 here in TX, so north of that :) ), and very strong head winds both ways, so it was an awesome mileage IMO. Had to downshift to 7th quite a bit (and sometimes even 6th), to avoid lugging the engine. My 2018 F-150 Platinum 3.5EB did about 13 in those conditions. Very pleased with engine performance too; it's better than I expected, for such a large and heavy vehicle.
I used regular 87 octane even going up flagstaff mountain, which is 7200 ft. traveling 80 most of the way. Smart mode never felt lugging or underpowered.
If I was going to tow a good size trailer, might want a little more power. Then of course the trade off is crap for MPG.
I went across I-40 in Texas and there is always terrible wind there
I had applied ceramic coating and was surprised at how easy the bugs came off. Don't think I missed more than 3 or 4 the whole trip. entire front was covered.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't explain the increase in mileage although I can offer a theory. Just before we left I searched for gas and the only station that we could find that had any gas at all had hi-test, so I filled it up. 2020 Limited FWD, ~10,000mi. Any thoughts?
I have also noted this in my vehicles at around the 10K mileage point, and was told that modern engines take about this mileage under normal conditions to be finally broken-in. Slightly greater efficiency is achieved.

As per your comment on hi-test gasoline, I recall an extremely detailed technical discussion on the benefits of using hi-test on an engine designed for regular octane and the consensus was that there was no increase in mpg. This was one of the "nerdy" engineering forums where the experts definitely knew what they were talking about. If anything, mpg can suffer slightly as I recalled.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had applied ceramic coating and was surprised at how easy the bugs came off.
I could not agree more. I am just using the very inexpensive Turtle wax hybrid ceramic coating, and can't believe how easily the bugs wash off.

Relating to your original thread on mpg. I am pleasantly surprised at how good the mileage is on the Palisade. Better than I was anticipating for such a large vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
175 Posts
Did you calculate you MPG using actual numbers of gallons from your fuel stops, or did you use the built-in fuel economy meter on the vehicle?
The built-in meter is much more accurate nowadays, so not a concern. But didn't expect it to be THAT accurate, so great news :).

I have some of that Turtle Wax ceramic coating, so will use it to see if bugs are easier to remove. It's ridiculous how many are they on desert highways. I have to clean my front end at every freaking gas stop. I made a contraption to remove the bugs from the radiator (or the condenser, to be precise), which didn't come off with high pressure water at the carwash. I couldn't install the fiberglass screening I like to install on all my vehicles, since I couldn't remove the top radiator cover, for being attached to the grille. And wasn't going to remove the bumper just for that, so will have to deal with this after every trip. I was able to remove most bugs, but the worst part is that damage to the fins is accumulating now. Will buy one of those tools to try to fix them, and see if I can do that thru the holes on the grille.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts