Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We recently purchased a 2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL Premium AWD in white exterior and gray interior. It's our first Hyundai and our first new car ever, and so far we love the Palisade!

We have a growing family with two young children, so getting a three-row SUV is a very welcome addition! (coming from a 2007 Honda CR-V)

One of the deciding factors in choosing the Palisade was its support for Openpilot, a level 2 driving automation system developed by Comma AI. We have outfitted the Palisade with a Comma 2 device running Openpilot software. For those interested in this setup, we will be uploading videos of our experience with it.

We're happy to be part of the Palisade community!

·
Registered
2021 Palisade SEL Moonlight Cloud
25 Posts
Congrats!

Interesting reading about OpenPilot. I wonder what OpenPilot gets you that the existing Hyundai SmartCruise and Highway Drive Assist don't.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL
36 Posts
Nice car... better backdrop...LOL

Reactions: CommaDrive

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Can you go into what comma ai offers for the palisade over the factory semi-autonomous features? It's already a very capable system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you go into what comma ai offers for the palisade over the factory semi-autonomous features? It's already a very capable system.
We'll be making a video comparing the two systems under various circumstances. Admittedly, I was fairly impressed with the stock driver assist system in the Palisade.

In fact, Openpilot currently relies on the built-in Smart Cruise Control for the "longitudinal" control of the vehicle, even though Openpilot is capable of using the vision system of the Comma 2 hardware device (mounted to windshield) to do so. So, that's a testament to the Palisade cruise control system.

Therefore, the key differences are going to be centered around the Lane Keep Assist functionality. Like I said, we will make a detailed comparison video(s) to highlight the differences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that's a great video comparing to Tesla. With the ever changing technology, both systems have already evolved some since then. One of the benefits of Openpilot over the stock Hyundai driving system is that is continually improves and has big plans / expectations to achieve some very impressive driving capabilities that will simply never be on our stock Palisade, or any new non-Tesla vehicle produced today.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Definitely agree that is a very interesting video that shows the capabilities of both systems and where much greater development is needed to achieve the goal of full semi autonomous and then ultimately autonomous driving. A long way still to go.

In the video, from my own experience that city bus would have merged into the lane in most cases and I would not be relying on the driving assist technologies in my Palisade. If it was relied upon, likely some pretty significant braking of my Palisade would have occurred and then I would be relying on the full attention of the person behind me to deal with my quickly changing speed. No thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very interesting video. Do you have instructions on how it is installed on a Palisade?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely agree that is a very interesting video that shows the capabilities of both systems and where much greater development is needed to achieve the goal of full semi autonomous and then ultimately autonomous driving. A long way still to go.

In the video, from my own experience that city bus would have merged into the lane in most cases and I would not be relying on the driving assist technologies in my Palisade. If it was relied upon, likely some pretty significant braking of my Palisade would have occurred and then I would be relying on the full attention of the person behind me to deal with my quickly changing speed. No thank you.
I agree. It's a very interesting time in our world for this technology, with a lot of things changing fast and a lot of companies pursuing solutions differently, along with strong disagreements on when the technology will be "ready".

For us, that's part of the fun! I tend to be more optimistic in my view of when Level 4 driving automation will be amongst us (with Tesla leading the way). Comma AI has admitted their Comma 2 device (the one we have) will continue to serve as their flagship Level 2 driving system, even after they release more advanced systems (e.g. Level 4) in the future (which will require much more complex / expensive hardware).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those wondering what the "levels of driving automation" refers to, here are the official definitions by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And it should be noted that Tesla’s system is level 2, despite their claims that it can do better.
That's right, Tesla has been somewhat misleading with their branding of "Full Self-Driving" (FSD) software to perform its driving automation. Currently, the actual name of their current FSD software release has the "Beta" suffix ... but still a bit misleading.

Regardless, Tesla remains the clear leader in terms of driving automation at the moment, at least at the consumer-level. Even the Founder of Comma AI admits Tesla is ahead of them and will probably beat them to Level 4 by a couple years (pretty sure it was ~2 years that he said).

·
Registered
150 Posts
CommaDrive, I should have mentioned that based on what I saw in the video, OpenPilot is pretty impressive piece of tech at a very reasonable price. Without being anywhere near a subject matter expert in autonomous driving or the development companies that are in this field, I see a very bright future for this company and especially the key people involved. Most likely a very lucrative buy-out in the relative near future. Quite impressed. Machine learning definitely seems to be the goal, however finding and keeping the people with these very special skills will be the biggest challenge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are there any plans to add things like parallel parking or is everything forward oriented?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are there any plans to add things like parallel parking or is everything forward oriented?
Doubtful with the Comma 2 device since it only has a forward facing camera, despite that it may be able to communicate with some of the vehicle sensors ... but then each vehicle has a different sensor suite, so it would be difficult to develop a solution that is robust across all supported vehicles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts