Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

2023 Trailer Hitch

106K views 307 replies 84 participants last post by  Nolenski 
#1 ·
I just ordered a new 2023 Calligraphy with the tow hitch. My salesman said they have a new hitch on the 2023 that is hidden behind the bumper and has a removable panel to access it. Does anyone have any pictures of it?

#11 ·
Over this past weekend I just put a (refundable) down payment on a Caligraphy that is estimated to come to the dealer on 8/3/22 but have been confused myself about the tow hitch on the 2023 model. My salesperson did confirm that they added a tow haul feature which I have also seen on various sites but hasn't really given me good guidance on the hitch itself. Also, from videos I have seen it looks like there is a cutout in the bumper that will be hiding the OEM tow hitch but Hyundai's website not yet updated for the 2023's with respect to accessories/tow hitches so it's not yet clear to me. I never liked the 2022 and prior models OEM hitch because of the way they protruded low and out from the bumper and had investigated the stealth hitch as well that Hybridiso commented which I also liked. However, with the change to the bumper not sure if the existing 2022 and prior Stealth hitches will work in new 2023 model and unclear to me whether the OEM tow hitch will truly be hidden. I'm a bit concerned cause I do tow a small boat during the summer months and don't want to be out of pocket if the Caligraphy does come in on 8/3 and I trade my current vehicle with a tow hitch and have not gotten either the OEM or Stealth hitch yet. So, any comments are greatly appreciated if anyone hears of anything.

#213 ·
Over this past weekend I just put a (refundable) down payment on a Caligraphy that is estimated to come to the dealer on 8/3/22 but have been confused myself about the tow hitch on the 2023 model. My salesperson did confirm that they added a tow haul feature which I have also seen on various sites but hasn't really given me good guidance on the hitch itself. Also, from videos I have seen it looks like there is a cutout in the bumper that will be hiding the OEM tow hitch but Hyundai's website not yet updated for the 2023's with respect to accessories/tow hitches so it's not yet clear to me. I never liked the 2022 and prior models OEM hitch because of the way they protruded low and out from the bumper and had investigated the stealth hitch as well that Hybridiso commented which I also liked. However, with the change to the bumper not sure if the existing 2022 and prior Stealth hitches will work in new 2023 model and unclear to me whether the OEM tow hitch will truly be hidden. I'm a bit concerned cause I do tow a small boat during the summer months and don't want to be out of pocket if the Caligraphy does come in on 8/3 and I trade my current vehicle with a tow hitch and have not gotten either the OEM or Stealth hitch yet. So, any comments are greatly appreciated if anyone hears of anything.
I purchased my 2023 Palisade in January. It’s been 5 months and tow package still not available to order!

#13 ·
If pics would help for Limited trim (therefore this will also on on Calligraphy, I'm sure), here are some. Can grab more if you want. Vehicle did not come with OEM hitch installed, but harnesses appear to be in the right spot. Going to park it on edge of driveway later today to get underneath it better to see a bit more.

#19 ·
Source: DM straight from Hyundai USA.

All they would tell me is it's different. I suppose the previous version might still be compatible but I didn't specifically ask that. Also, the hitch design might be different depending on the trim level right? If you have the hitch bumper cover, that might be a different hitch design now? My calligraphy should be here in the next few days and I have the curt hitch in the garage waiting to be installed day 1. I'll report back.

#20 ·
Source: DM straight from Hyundai USA.

All they would tell me is it's different. I suppose the previous version might still be compatible but I didn't specifically ask that. Also, the hitch design might be different depending on the trim level right? If you have the hitch bumper cover, that might be a different hitch design now? My calligraphy should be here in the next few days and I have the curt hitch in the garage waiting to be installed day 1. I'll report back.
Nice. I would love to hear back from you about that curt hitch fitting. I just dont know what the difference is for the bumper thickness from 2022 to 2023. I think that could be the only reason why third party hitch won't fit.

I did reach out to etrailer to see if they know anything about the 2022 stealth hitch being compatible with 2023 palisade, and this was the response

I went ahead and checked with Stealth Hitches and they did not have any information on the 2023 Hyundai Palisade. I did see the installation instructions you were talking about and the 2020-2022 OEM hitch being offered for the 2023 model. I talked to our fit guide rep here and he wasn't sure either. The Stealth Hitch item # 391HYUNPALIS19T is quite a bit more complicated than the OEM hitch so it may need different parts or updated instructions. I can not answer this question with any amount of certainty right now so my recommendation is to wait a couple months and check back.

I just means they dont know either still.. lol

#21 ·
We just payed thanks to NFCU for our 2023 Pali Cali, should arrive in about 1 or 2 month, but no hitch option, and it's not available on Hyundai Build your Palisade website, so my question - does Palisade come with tow harness ready ( 7 pin) ? so when the hitch is available later I can order one and install the hitch and plug in the hitch harness. Dealer at my location seems like incompetent about it and send me to some third party shop they have signed a deal for installing hitches. Please let me know about harness. Thanks.

#22 · (Edited)
The plug n play factory plug is located behind the drivers side rear wheel. It’s inside of the plastic cover at the bottom of the rear quarter panel. The 7 way harness you want for plug n play is a Curt #56466. Carid.com has it for $73.

Go to Etrailer.com for a trailer hitch. All the holes are already in the frame, you just need to lower the spare tire and then the muffler a little to install. They have a video showing everything you need to do to install. They also have the wiring harness but it’s about $140.

If you have any mechanical ability it won’t be any problem to install the hitch and wiring harness.

This is all contingent if the 2023 is the same as previous years.

#23 ·
The plug n play factory plug is located behind the drivers side rear wheel. It’s inside of the plastic cover at the bottom of the rear quarter panel. The 7 way harness you want for plug n play is a Curt #56466. Carid.com has it for $73.

Go to Etrailer.com for a trailer hitch. All the holes are already in the frame, you just need to lower the muffler a little to install. They have a video showing everything you need to do to install. They also have the wiring harness but it’s about $130.

If you have any mechanical ability it won’t be any problem to install the hitch and wiring harness.
That's all true IF the 23 model year has same hitch design.

#29 · (Edited)
I'm attempting the curt hitch install tonight. I'll let you know how (or if) that fits soon.

******Update: Installed without a problem. I took off the hitch cover but I don't think that is necessary for install. My GUESS is that the OEM hitch, whenever that is released, will protrude out the center of the cover (higher than what is shown here) and it will include a replacement cover with a cutout in it. If it doesn't come with a cover, it will not look very good. With the Curt, center of square tube is about 13" from the ground.

I can't wait a couple months for the OEM (and don't have much confidence in it anyway) so glad this worked out ok. If you need a trusted hitch now, grab the Curt and enjoy!

Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel Tread

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

#30 ·
The 23 trailer wiring is different from the older version. The connector that was on behind the driver side rear wheel is nowon the back bumper and its a longer flatter connector. So the older wiring harness will not work. I believe the new harness will have the 7 pin trailer connector instead of the old 4 pin. I cantnt find the newer harness yet.

#32 ·
I originally was going to get a 2022and bought a Hyundai trailer hitch on Ebay. The 2022 Hyundia hitch installed fine hitch but the wiring harness did not. If you get a Hyundai 2023 hitch it will be about an inch higher up into the bumper and a a different cover will have the trailee connector intergrated in it.
I would recomend getting the factory 2023 trailer hitch kit for the 2023 Palisade. Ot will look cleaner, have more clearance under the bumper and be set up for brake wiring.

#33 ·
I ended up ordering the Curt hitch for 2022..

I don't like how the 2022 OEM one looks.
I would love to see what the new one look like with the bumper, but I can't wait 2 months. I need the hitch for next couple months.
If it's not looking good, I probably will go with the stealth hitch eventually.

But for the price (~$200) it made sense for me as a short term solution. thanks @Hapster for confirming Curt fits

#38 ·
It's 1/2 way between the passenger corner and the mid point. I've had my hand on it but may have removed the spare tire for elbow room. I have not found a harness but I don't have a trailer so I'm not looking hard. If you need one you should ask the dealer as i dont think after markets have one yet.

#39 ·
Just installed the curt hitch with the help of my father.

As Tod mentioned, wiring harness is not in the same spot as previous models. This is what it looks like when you take off the driver side panel.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

I think this is where you would attach the wiring harness? or am i completely wrong. if it is, then yeah it's completely different than previous models.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Another thing i noticed with the curt hitch is that once you tighten one side, there's a gap on the other side like this.. idk if i have a dud or if that's normal?
we bought couple spacers for the bolt just in case..

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Wood

Im pretty happy with the result

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

#40 ·
Just installed the curt hitch with the help of my father.

As Tod mentioned, wiring harness is not in the same spot as previous models. This is what it looks like when you take off the driver side panel.

View attachment 6995

I think this is where you would attach the wiring harness? or am i completely wrong. if it is, then yeah it's completely different than previous models.

View attachment 6996

Another thing i noticed with the curt hitch is that once you tighten one side, there's a gap on the other side like this.. idk if i have a dud or if that's normal?
we bought couple spacers for the bolt just in case..

View attachment 6998

Im pretty happy with the result

View attachment 6999

View attachment 7000
I had a similar gap on mine but the upper part of the bracket touched the frame but they was a gap at the bottom. Almost seemed like the frame was skewed a bit (on purpose). Only holding a bike carrier on mine so not at all worried.