Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I realize there are other options available, but Hyundai put a lot of emphasis on creating a more attractive rear bumper panel that accommodates the OEM hitch. I haven’t had great luck with aftermarket hitches installed on my Honda vehicles in the past. From everything I’ve heard about the OEM Calligraphy hitch is worth waiting for.
OK. I'm not familiar with the 2023 hitch (if it's even new for that year).

I don't tow myself, but I know that for 2020-2022 models, some people preferred the Curt hitch, which was a lot less visible. If you search this forum, I'm sure you'll find pictures and/or discussions on this. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
530 Posts
I am guessing the OEM hitch will sit a few inches higher and thus not as likely to scrape the curb on exiting a steep dip. And.. you will need less of an offset to suit your trailer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not keen on paying for a third party to install something the manufacturer claimed the car came with. Look at XRT descriptions at dealer sites. They say the hitch and wiring harness are standard. All other trims list them as options, but not the XRT.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy in Moonlight Cloud
3 Posts
We just put a deposit down on a 23 Calligraphy and are reading our 21 Calligraphy. From what I understand by reading the TSB for the recall on Palisades and Tellurides, the issue with the wiring harness moving is due to the old wiring harnesses catching on fire. While Kia does not have a fix at the moment besides not parking your car in your garage lest you chance burning your house down, Hyundai's interim solution is to pull the fuse for the trailer wiring harness. This leads me to believe that the new harness position is some type of fix for the bursting into flames issue.
I just got on here to see what people were saying about the hitches for the new model. It's disappointing to find out that there isn't a wiring harness for a hitch yet on the 23 models.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It sure is. Especially with them so prominently advertising the tow capacity. From my understanding it was not the pre-wired part that caught fire, but the hitch wiring harness which had the little circuit board. Seems to me you could just unplug that also. Since I believe all the problems were with the factory harness, not the 3rd party ones.

·
Registered
23’ XRT
43 Posts
I am not keen on paying for a third party to install something the manufacturer claimed the car came with. Look at XRT descriptions at dealer sites. They say the hitch and wiring harness are standard. All other trims list them as options, but not the XRT.
Our XRT did not come with a hitch, haven’t looked for a wiring harness yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my 23 Calligraphy last week and it was ordered with a dealer installed hitch back in March. I was really hoping that the hitch would be hidden behind that middle panel, but it hangs low and IMO, looks horrible. They also said that they have no idea when the harness will be available, so for now I have a useless (and rather ugly) hitch. Are there any better looking alternatives to this dealer hitch?
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is definitely the 2020-2022 trailer hitch which fits but does not integrate yet. If you look on e-trailer there are definitely some better looking ones but none are integrated yet. I am curious to know if the Kia telluride hitch would fit on the 2023 palisade with the integration.

As for the wiring harness I have seen some people get the no-splice kind that clips onto the proper wires and uses signals to control your lights and brakes off of your trailer's battery.

·
Premium Member
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
530 Posts
Seems the manufacturers of trailer hitches are not keen on developing this new hidden design. Is it because there is not enough demand to justify setting up the jigs required.. or, that the engineering has not proved them safe? Given that even Hyundai does not (apparently) even have a hidden hitch to sell it makes one suspect the later. Fortunately the "old" style still fits.. but without a suitable electrical plug kind of leaving folk.. without. Kind of a mess.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm attempting the curt hitch install tonight. I'll let you know how (or if) that fits soon.

******Update: Installed without a problem. I took off the hitch cover but I don't think that is necessary for install. My GUESS is that the OEM hitch, whenever that is released, will protrude out the center of the cover (higher than what is shown here) and it will include a replacement cover with a cutout in it. If it doesn't come with a cover, it will not look very good. With the Curt, center of square tube is about 13" from the ground.

I can't wait a couple months for the OEM (and don't have much confidence in it anyway) so glad this worked out ok. If you need a trusted hitch now, grab the Curt and enjoy!

View attachment 6926
View attachment 6925
What did you do for a wiring harness? I do not see one in your photo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm attempting the curt hitch install tonight. I'll let you know how (or if) that fits soon.

******Update: Installed without a problem. I took off the hitch cover but I don't think that is necessary for install. My GUESS is that the OEM hitch, whenever that is released, will protrude out the center of the cover (higher than what is shown here) and it will include a replacement cover with a cutout in it. If it doesn't come with a cover, it will not look very good. With the Curt, center of square tube is about 13" from the ground.

I can't wait a couple months for the OEM (and don't have much confidence in it anyway) so glad this worked out ok. If you need a trusted hitch now, grab the Curt and enjoy!

View attachment 6926
View attachment 6925
Where is the wiring harness for your hitch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man, what a way to create a s--- show behind an otherwise amazing experience with my 2023 Calligraphy. Epic fail to advertise the towing capabilities without having an OEM hitch, hitch cover, and harness for it....sigh... bumping and hoping someone has heard something regarding arrival. Is early next year still the target? Anyone have any more solid info on a date and design? Good thing its at least winter and I wont need to tow anytime soon. argh

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Man, what a way to create a s--- show behind an otherwise amazing experience with my 2023 Calligraphy. Epic fail to advertise the towing capabilities without having an OEM hitch, hitch cover, and harness for it....sigh... bumping and hoping someone has heard something regarding arrival. Is early next year still the target? Anyone have any more solid info on a date and design? Good thing its at least winter and I wont need to tow anytime soon. argh
This post might be of interest to you:

81 - 100 of 125 Posts