Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's no secret that the 2021 Calligraphy is essentially the same car as the 2020 Limited. Since the 2020's are getting close to OOS in my area I'm trying to find out if someone has done a comprehensive check of both vehicles to determine the full list of differences. So far, I've got the following:

1) Different Grill style
2) Different Rims style
3) Different Chrome accents on exterior
4) Additional small opening on front lights
5) Longer 3rd brake light
6) Hitch pre-wired with 7 pin rather than 4 pin

Outside of the last item, all of these are minor cosmetic differences. Has any of the sites out there done a full comparison to see if anything else has changed besides these items? Has there been any upgrades/downgrades to the materials/parts? Has there been any changes made on the interior?

All the Calligraphy reviews I've seen, outside of the one from Asian Petrolhead, pretty much echo all the same things we've seen on the 2020 Limited reviews without mentioning the differences in the 2021 version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the brake light info, JR! Looks like another small cosmetic change that I can add to the list.

I read that other thread, amongst others, and it contained some of the info I listed above and then quickly devolved into various other discussions. I'm hoping someone has found a recent resource that does a proper job listing the differences between these two vehicles as I haven't found much out there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can now build a 2021 Palisade on Hyundaiusa.com and compare the differences there too. From what I can gather the Calligraphy is basically just cosmetic changes and it looks like they removed the chrome trim and replaced it with the matte silver/aluminum looking trim and changed the design a little too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The head liner is a different (“nicer”) material in the Calligraphy which they market as a Calligraphy exclusive feature.
Also the LED design on the rear brake lights which I think were on the 2020 Ltd and moved to the 2021 Calligraphy but removed from the 2021 Ltd.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The head liner is a different (“nicer”) material in the Calligraphy which they market as a Calligraphy exclusive feature.
Also the LED design on the rear brake lights which I think were on the 2020 Ltd and moved to the 2021 Calligraphy but removed from the 2021 Ltd.
The headliner material is the same on the 2020 Limited and 2021 Calligraphy. It's microfiber suede. It was removed from the 2021 Limited and now only available on the Calligraphy (like many other things that the Limited had in 2020 that are now on the Calligraphy only).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Basically the 2021 Calligraphy IS the 2020 Limited with a few minor tweaks.

The 2021 Limited is a stripped down Calligraphy or an upscale SEL depending on how you want to look at it.

I think the sad part is that you can't tell a difference between the 2021 SEL and Limited as they got rid of the unique Limited wheels which I didn't love at first but they have grown on me and I really like them now, it gives it a little more upscale look over the SEL.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Basically the 2021 Calligraphy IS the 2020 Limited with a few minor tweaks.

The 2021 Limited is a stripped down Calligraphy or an upscale SEL depending on how you want to look at it.

I think the sad part is that you can't tell a difference between the 2021 SEL and Limited as they got rid of the unique Limited wheels which I didn't love at first but they have grown on me and I really like them now, it gives it a little more upscale look over the SEL.
And the 2020 Limited wheels look far better than the 2021 Calligraphy wheels, in my opinion!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yep, for those looking at these cars for the first time it can be confusing with the trim breakdown they did year. For all intents and purposes the 2021 Limited is a new trim as it has nothing, besides name, to do with the 2020 Limited.

The problem with many reviews is they talk about the 2021 Calligraphy differences vs the 2021 Limited and either directly (which is incorrect) or indirectly imply that it's a big step up from the 2020 Limited. This is what leads to much confusion. If they just stated from the start, 2021 Calligraphy is 2020 Limited and the 2021 Limited is a new trim which now slots in between the top and mid trims it would be easier to understand for most consumers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the 2020 Limited wheels look far better than the 2021 Calligraphy wheels, in my opinion!
I thought the same until I saw it in person. Maybe I just convinced myself :), but I'm actually starting to like the "future" looking design of the 2021 Calligraphy wheels. I definitely preferred the new grill design from the start so at least that cosmetic change was already a small win in my book.

That said, I'm not too fussed with the few cosmetic changes they've made this year. The functional changes like the trailer hitch is more meaningful to me so I'm hoping there are a few other additions that have yet to be discussed. Most importantly, I'm also hoping they aren't any regressions (eg swapping out certain parts for cheaper versions).

It would be nice if some YT channel did car breakdown like they do for phones! An inventory breakdown and comparison of all parts would be very cool, although you would have to be a maniac to do this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Korean market Calligraphy gets meaningful changes. The US version didn’t get all the niceties
Raggedy1, do you have a info/links to the changes they're getting compared to North America? When I watched Asian Petrolhead's review of the Calligraphy I didn't see any changes outside of those I listed in my OP. Also, it looks like they were missing some features last year as it seems like they were only getting the ambient lighting on the 2021 Calligraphy trim this year as they didn't have it on the 2020 Limited models.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok, well I guess I was wrong; it's the VIP trim that gets the nice additions in Korea. I mistakenly thought the Calligraphy got the changes and the VIP trim was an option, but now it looks like the VIP trim is another level altogether.

I'd love to be able to add that second row center console.

Maybe Hyundai gives us the VIP model next year?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ok, well I guess I was wrong; it's the VIP trim that gets the nice additions in Korea. I mistakenly thought the Calligraphy got the changes and the VIP trim was an option, but now it looks like the VIP trim is another level altogether.

I'm with you. I'd like that console as well. If someone could get a part number and service manual out of South Korea for that console (to see how it gets hooked up), I'd be interested.

·
Registered
456 Posts
shoot, even if I couldn't get the drink cooler function to work I'd still want that center console. hahahah

yeah, would be nice if someone offered it for sale (barring of course it's not crazy expensive). Shark Racing? Some site must sell Hyundai OEM parts!

edit: actually, that center console has controls for the rear entertainment system so that would be useless for us. sigh. When this trim level does get offered then it will make some of us want to upgrade, which is always their intent anyways. heehee

Or Hyundai might fear it will steal sales away from their Genesis line and we never get the VIP trim level in the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, that VIP console does look cool. I also like the look of the wider headrests in the second row.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes a new trim in NA or if they just roll these features into the Calligraphy in future years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I think they get folding mirrors like the International market as I think it's only NA that doesn't get it. That's the one feature I was hoping got added to Calligraphy. It will likely arrive next year after I've already bought one. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's no secret that the 2021 Calligraphy is essentially the same car as the 2020 Limited. Since the 2020's are getting close to OOS in my area I'm trying to find out if someone has done a comprehensive check of both vehicles to determine the full list of differences. So far, I've got the following:

1) Different Grill style
2) Different Rims style
3) Different Chrome accents on exterior
4) Additional small opening on front lights
5) Longer 3rd brake light
6) Hitch pre-wired with 7 pin rather than 4 pin

Outside of the last item, all of these are minor cosmetic differences. Has any of the sites out there done a full comparison to see if anything else has changed besides these items? Has there been any upgrades/downgrades to the materials/parts? Has there been any changes made on the interior?

All the Calligraphy reviews I've seen, outside of the one from Asian Petrolhead, pretty much echo all the same things we've seen on the 2020 Limited reviews without mentioning the differences in the 2021 version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the post. Just to give you some background I've placed a downpayment for a calligraphy from a Toronto dealership. My only problem was I've requested the light coloured interior......now in saying that the dealership did not have one so I'm only going on their word. Is the interior a beige or light grey?

My apologies if you have no idea.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts