Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 Limited FWD and excited to join this forum.

While buying the car, i was able to find a 2021 Limited FWD at a bay area, ca dealer. Went in with certainty that will be buying the 2021. On the test drive, we realized the interiors did not feel as premium as the 2020 we test drove. After comparing the interiors side by side, we realized they have made the following changes on the Limited model

-Suede headliner on 2020 vs cloth on 2021
-quilted door pads on 2020 vs plain (maybe cloth) door pads on 2021
-No quilted seats on 2021
-2020 steering wheel has a leather dimpled texture finish, vs no texture on 2021.

These were the ones we noticed in the first 5 mins. Seems like they decided to move these to the Calligraphy trim.

Decided to go for the 2020 for the better quality interior and lower price.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just bought a 2020 Limited FWD and excited to join this forum.

While buying the car, i was able to find a 2021 Limited FWD at a bay area, ca dealer. Went in with certainty that will be buying the 2021. On the test drive, we realized the interiors did not feel as premium as the 2020 we test drove. After comparing the interiors side by side, we realized they have made the following changes on the Limited model

-Suede headliner on 2020 vs cloth on 2021
-quilted door pads on 2020 vs plain (maybe cloth) door pads on 2021
-No quilted seats on 2021
-2020 steering wheel has a leather dimpled texture finish, vs no texture on 2021.

These were the ones we noticed in the first 5 mins. Seems like they decided to move these to the Calligraphy trim.

Decided to go for the 2020 for the better quality interior and lower price.
Welcome.

And yes, that's exactly what they did. See this thread for more info:

Basically, there's less than $1000 difference in price between the 2021 Limited AWD and 2021 Calligraphy (which is only AWD). It makes no sense to buy the 2021 Limited AWD. For FWD, that's a different story, as the price gap is larger. But then you lose the content that was on the 2020 Limited and is now only on the Calligraphy for 2021. Buying a 2020 Limited FWD while you still can was the right move.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

And yes, that's exactly what they did. See this thread for more info:

Basically, there's less than $1000 difference in price between the 2021 Limited AWD and 2021 Calligraphy (which is only AWD). It makes no sense to buy the 2021 Limited AWD. For FWD, that's a different story, as the price gap is larger. But then you lose the content that was on the 2020 Limited and is now only on the Calligraphy for 2021. Buying a 2020 Limited FWD while you still can was the right move.

Just started reading that thread! I guess posted too soon.

I had the exact same conversation with my wife about Limited AWD vs Calligraphy AWD.

The 2020 Limited FWD made sense for us as there is a good 4k to 10k markup for AWD in Bay area :S

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not sure if you’re willing to go outside the BA, but if you are then use the Hyundai website to see dealer inventory, and your chance at finding a better deal.

I'm in the BA but went to San Diego to get my AWD limited because I didn’t want to pay the crazy prices here.

flew down to SD at the start of covid, had a relative pick me up and get me to the dealer and drove it home. Gave me a good chance to learn and appreciate all the features. Using adaptive cruise and the LFA really made the drive so much easier than in any car I’ve had before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So it looks like you are actually confirming what we have been reading about- that the new limited is vastly different from the 2020 version! Still perplexed as to why so many changes. I know they want to make people desire the calligraphy model, but then why bother having the limited at all ? With the upgrades to the SEL and the not vast difference in price between limited and calligraphy (other than having to get the a w d on the calligraphy) there doesn't seem to be much of a draw for the limited?

·
Super Moderator
844 Posts
Don't pay a markup on the calligraphy model. There will be more here shortly. Just some areas dealers are money hungry. If you travel to get the Palisade you can still get serviced at a nearby dealership. Hyundai makes them service the Palisade even if you didn't buy from them.
Don't know why they even bothered with the 2021 limited after the changes they made. Hyundai should have just made the changes to all limit's and not started the calligraphy name.
Basically this just gave them an excuse to raise the price

·
Registered
821 Posts
Basically this just gave them an excuse to raise the price
That's exactly the reason. The Limited has been the one trim level that is hard to find and on which some dealers have added a premium over MSRP.

The 2021 Limited can be justified if you only want FWD, but you do get less than you did in 2020.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Chico Hyundai was offering the AWD limited at MSRP. It's just that we decided to get our preferred color over the AWD option. $48.5k for limited AWD vs $45.5k for the limited FWD, so the $3k savings made the decision easier.

We rarely need the AWD. Its only when visiting Yosemite or Tahoe in the winter. I guess i can live with $100 snow cables.

I agree, the 2021 limited AWD doesnt make much sense at all vs the calligraphy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
So the 2020 Limited wheels and grill aren't found on any 2021 model?

I think we all see this was a way for them to raise the price without really raising the price. hahaha. Since they seemed to be able to sell all the Limited stock without needing to discount, you'd think they would have kept the 2020 Limited content, and just add more to create the Calligraphy. Wood trim and a nice 2nd row center console are inevitable. I guess they just want to wait for the mid-cycle refresh to release those items. We know product planners have all the steps planned out in advance, but still, the 2021 Limited is baffling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the 2020 Limited wheels and grill aren't found on any 2021 model?

I think we all see this was a way for them to raise the price without really raising the price. hahaha. Since they seemed to be able to sell all the Limited stock without needing to discount, you'd think they would have kept the 2020 Limited content, and just add more to create the Calligraphy. Wood trim and a nice 2nd row center console are inevitable. I guess they just want to wait for the mid-cycle refresh to release those items. We know product planners have all the steps planned out in advance, but still, the 2021 Limited is baffling.
My assumption is that they wanted to keep the MSRP below 50k for the top end trim.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if you’re willing to go outside the BA, but if you are then use the Hyundai website to see dealer inventory, and your chance at finding a better deal.

I'm in the BA but went to San Diego to get my AWD limited because I didn’t want to pay the crazy prices here.

flew down to SD at the start of covid, had a relative pick me up and get me to the dealer and drove it home. Gave me a good chance to learn and appreciate all the features. Using adaptive cruise and the LFA really made the drive so much easier than in any car I’ve had before.
Where in San Diego? I live in SD and found the best deal here back in Dec 2019. I went to Frank Hyundai.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts