Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early last month my wife and I went shopping for a 2021 Limited (after test driving a 2020 Limited at a different dealer in July). We figured it is fall now so why settle for one of the few available 2020s? The 2021s are bound to better. Then we saw one. My wife and I were aghast at what they did to it. Gone was the Limited's unique wheels. Gone was the soft leather on the interior doors. Gone was the alcantara roof lining. Something definitely inferior was substituted for each of those three things, in order make room for an even higher level Palisade--the Calligraphy. Now, only the Calligraphy has unique wheels, and they are badass, too. The alcantara and the door leather also went to the Calligraphy, and Hyundai added some unique touches to both the front and rear appearance. Fortunately, the first dealer we visited had both a 2021 Limited and 2021 Calligraphy (literally just backed off the trailer truck) on their lot. They pulled both vehicles out front for us to inspect. The Limited had the color combination we favored, but the way it was neutered was a shock. My wife thought the interior changes were ugly (remember, she had test-driven a 2020 Limited) and refused the 2021 Limited despite the prefer color combination and lower cost. We grabbed the Calligraphy instead and brought it home. I'm still puzzled by what Hyundai did to the Limited. Instead of neutering the Limited, I think they should have added more Luxury touches to the Calligraphy like power folding side view mirrors, power adjust steering column, and maybe 25 more horsepower to the giddyup and called it a day.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Early last month my wife and I went shopping for a 2021 Limited (after test driving a 2020 Limited at a different dealer in July). We figured it is fall now so why settle for one of the few available 2020s? The 2021s are bound to better. Then we saw one. My wife and I were aghast at what they did to it. Gone was the Limited's unique wheels. Gone was the soft leather on the interior doors. Gone was the alcantara roof lining. Something definitely inferior was substituted for each of those three things, in order make room for an even higher level Palisade--the Calligraphy. Now, only the Calligraphy has unique wheels, and they are badass, too. The alcantara and the door leather also went to the Calligraphy, and Hyundai added some unique touches to both the front and rear appearance. Fortunately, the first dealer we visited had both a 2021 Limited and 2021 Calligraphy (literally just backed off the trailer truck) on their lot. They pulled both vehicles out front for us to inspect. The Limited had the color combination we favored, but the way it was neutered was a shock. My wife thought the interior changes were ugly (remember, she had test-driven a 2020 Limited) and refused the 2021 Limited despite the prefer color combination and lower cost. We grabbed the Calligraphy instead and brought it home. I'm still puzzled by what Hyundai did to the Limited. Instead of neutering the Limited, I think they should have added more Luxury touches to the Calligraphy like power folding side view mirrors, power adjust steering column, and maybe 25 more horsepower to the giddyup and called it a day.
Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. I mean... I get that the point is to extract more money out of us, but I don’t get the Limited’s equipment (or lack thereof) and price point. An AWD Limited is only less than $900 cheaper than a Calligraphy. There’s literally no reason to buy one, unless you absolutely want a color combo that’s not available on the Calligraphy. A FWD Limited makes a case for itself, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Hyundai could have just added one more trim addition to the SEL, But instead chose to lower the limited trim to that level.
make the limited a calligraphy trim with a couple of visual effects then add a price increase, for them seemed better than
doing another price increase on the limited trim.
Now if they would have added things, like power folding auto dimming mirrors, messaging seats, power sun shade to the front
sun roof. Things like that would have made sense for an upgrade. Of course double seals around the doors would have been
even better for for some.
My 2020 limited doesn't have wind noise or a bad smell so guess I should feel lucky to have what I got, But then I test drove it
before buying, made a list of must haves and would likes. Before making my purchase.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey Gene, I’m pretty sure what we currently have on our doors is considered double seals?

The wind noise is all from a bad window seal design, that’s my guess since I was able to cure my wind whistle by attacking the window seals with foam rope insulation.

I’m not digging the new calligraphy front end treatment and definitely hate the wheels! They tried to make the wheel look like the Palisade prototype wheel, but it’s a huge fail in my book.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I actually love the 2021 Limited. I wasn't feeling the 2020 Limited wheels and loved the SEL wheels. They look more rugged, sporty. I also don't care for the diamond stitching to the door panels, it's easier to clean and maintain the flat leather on the 2021. I predict a lot of dirt and dust settling into the door panels on the 2020 Limited since its in close proximity to peoples hands when they open the door. I don't like the 2020 Limited Grill.

We were wanting to get the Calligraphy but I hated the wheels, they look so cheap. Also not digging the front lower silver lip. And to top it off, the diamond stitching to the door panels, not a deal breaker, but I'd rather not have them.

The only thing I don't like about the 2021 was the cheap looking fake wood. I intend to replace that with an after market piece or the 2020 Limited trim.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Limited
11 Posts
Calligraphy was created to supplant the Limited as the top model, in order to sustain the Palisade's potential for above-MSRP asking. In that sense, it's a success... Just as the market pricing was leveling out, Calligraphy debuts and here they have a new winner that is commanding above MSRP prices.

I don't think the differences between Limited & Calligraphy are all that drastic. You have to really like that stitching on the door panel vs an equaly soft quilted clean-design, and be committed to faux suede vs their "melange" headliner, which is actually a really nice soft denim texture, still superior to what you'd find in many lux cars out there. And yes, the grill - lots of the things that are different are superficial, if not totally customizable. So when you get a deal on a Limited (that you can't get on a Calligraphy), you have some change leftover to make some changes - IF those really end up being important to you.

Plus, you're not Limited (see what I did there!) to Black, White, or Blue.

Either way, there are choices that are all good. So do what makes you happy!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Calligraphy was created to supplant the Limited as the top model, in order to sustain the Palisade's potential for above-MSRP asking. In that sense, it's a success... Just as the market pricing was leveling out, Calligraphy debuts and here they have a new winner that is commanding above MSRP prices.

I don't think the differences between Limited & Calligraphy are all that drastic. You have to really like that stitching on the door panel vs an equaly soft quilted clean-design, and be committed to faux suede vs their "melange" headliner, which is actually a really nice soft denim texture, still superior to what you'd find in many lux cars out there. And yes, the grill - lots of the things that are different are superficial, if not totally customizable. So when you get a deal on a Limited (that you can't get on a Calligraphy), you have some change leftover to make some changes - IF those really end up being important to you.

Plus, you're not Limited (see what I did there!) to Black, White, or Blue.

Either way, there are choices that are all good. So do what makes you happy!
You’re no longer limited to those 3 colors on the Calligraphy. They’re even offering a FWD version now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wait - Different door panels and no microfiber headliner "neuter" the car?? The SEL only gets the Limited wheels with an upgrade package. There is nothing substantively better on the Calligraphy (more power, better electronics) other than a handful of garnishes (e.g., Premium rear accent lighting? exclusive Roof-mounted Center High-Mount Stop Light? come on, man!)

We compared both higher trims too, and preferred the Limited, price or price difference notwithstanding. We got a reasonable discount and I asked them to throw in the box of all-weather mats. The same dealer had a white Calligraphy with some overpriced dealer add-ons and a not-too-insubstantial bump to the price.

So to answer the question...

2021 Limited: A Disappointment?
Nope.
Well, except for new car buyers who paid more and got less.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think the 2021 Limited is only a "dissapointed" when compared to the 2020. But yes, all the missing items on the 2021 Limited compared to the Calligraphy are not substantial.

The quilted door cards to match the seats are nice looking, and those who fear getting dirt in the holes are seriously looking for a reason to not like them.
The microfiber suede headliner is nice and premium looking.
The rear LED taillight accent bar is nice looking.
The puddle lights that illuminate as you approach the car are nice looking.
The wider CHMBL is cooler looking than the standard brake light.

So yeah, it's all garnishes. No real meat and potatoes, and the Calligraphy wheels are the ugliest wheel I've ever seen a manufacturer put on a car. Having said that, if I were buying a 2021 model I'd most likely go with the Calligraphy (and swap out the wheels) unless I was able to find a substantial discount on a Limited.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Limited
11 Posts
With words like "neutered," I think the original poster's descriptors are exaggerating, borderline melodramatic. I can't imagine anyone being "aghast" at the 2021 Limited - I mean, it's not as if Hyundai smeared it with trash and called it an option. Overall, it reads like a rationalization for choosing the Calligraphy over the Limited, and of course that's not necessary. You like what you like, and you buy what you like.

Though on the other hand, read the room & be aware of your audience. I have to admit, if someone told me vehicle look neutered and they were aghast at my choice, I wouldn't be thrilled and it's not thrilling to see someone rain on on my new Palisade parade - especially when I know damn well it's a stunning vehicle. That said, I don't think there was ill-intention. I think we're all in good company here, no matter what submodel we selected. It's a matter of taste, and let's just say we all have good taste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We went with the limited over the calligraphy because my wife absolutely HATED the dark colored headliner in the calligraphy. She said she felt boxed in, like she was in a Limo or a cave. The limited's lighter-grey headliner actually makes a difference to the feel of the inside, if you sit in them both its hard not to notice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just test-drove one with the 'dark brown/beige' interior, and the headliner light beige pretty much matched the seats, and it looked incredibly nice. You must have test-driven a black interior, which would be an automatic deal-breaker for me. And the beige interior, which has the same color seats, has an obviously fake wook, and worst of all, the doors are half black, the back of the seats black, and the base of the front seats black too, which looks really weird. So I'll get it in brown/beige, which is the most upscale looking interior, with a very dark brown steering wheel, steering column, and dash; very nice looking. Oh, and no fake wood there. Now will just have to wait until I can get my hands on one. Nobody has them, but at least most Hyundai dealers are selling them at MSRP, and not trying to get 5 grand over, like Kia dealers for the Telluride. And the Palisade has much better features.
We looked for a brown interior, we were a fan as well. The navy blue accents and the SUPER FAKE wood was a no-go for the beige. Good luck finding a brown one, it seems they are unicorns

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Limited
11 Posts
We looked for a brown interior, we were a fan as well. The navy blue accents and the SUPER FAKE wood was a no-go for the beige. Good luck finding a brown one, it seems they are unicorns
It's absolutely "super fake" in that's it's not trying to pass itself off as real. It's completely letting you know "hey, I'm a textured graphic." I think it's attractive, and has a beachy vibe - and in that sense, I love the deep blue interior trim (which, btw, is what elp_jc was calling black in their post). It all goes together well.

I wish there were a real wood offering, but I like this light driftwood graphic better than the alternate choices - not to mention what's currently available aftermarket: very typical, old school wood interior looks from B&I.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We found that black caligraphy trim has a very depressive interior due to dark suede ceiling.

Limited navy grey seemed much nicer and left a much better impression from the overall interior experience. Aka wood accents does not yell fake wood as from many other competitors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts