Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh yeah, that too!.....and free oil changes for life from the dealership (part of what they offer when you buy a new vehicle)

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
165 Posts
I can see how Telluride may slip into discussions here since it's related to Hyundai but I am so tired of all the BMW crap in every thread. Isn't there there a dedicated BMW forum out there?

Just had to get that out 😋
Clicked on this thread to see what's new and got bombarded with BMW pics

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not sure if the free maintenance is a blessing or curse for me. I've always done my own oil changes, but if I don't take my Palisade in for the "free" oil change then I'll feel like I"m losing some value (i.e. money) somehow. hahahaha

Plus, I dread going to dealers who will do their "free" 50 point inspection only to suggest I allow them to do all their recommended services, which are largely unnecessary!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I do my own as well. Surprisingly not everyone is comfortable sliding under a car and for those without their own garage I’d imagine it’s a pain.

The Z06 has some extra steps due to the dry sump. The system holds 9.5 qts, 10 for racing. Every change is a sobering $100 even when you do it yourself as they take 0w40 dexos 2 which I have to mail order because no one carries it. Then it’s off to recycle as my can only holds 3 gallons.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Surprisingly not everyone is comfortable sliding under a car
Why is that surprising? A lot of people don't know what to look for, what to do and how to do it. Many people are also afraid of braking something on a car that they depend on on a daily basis and can't afford to have break down.

·
Registered
451 Posts
yes, but how much would a dealer charge for that same oil change? hahaha. And I'm sure you trust yourself to do it right over any dealer or shop.
It's just satisfying to be able to do simple maintenance, and I have the space and time.

anyway, I'll try to keep this on topic.

·
Registered
936 Posts
yes, but how much would a dealer charge for that same oil change? hahaha. And I'm sure you trust yourself to do it right over any dealer or shop.
It's just satisfying to be able to do simple maintenance, and I have the space and time.

anyway, I'll try to keep this on topic.
Well, Hyundai offers them for free for 3 years now, so...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dealer gets $200, but Chevy is pretty reasonable. I have people on my TEAM that call it adulting. LOL They brag when they change a microwave lightbulb.

YouTube is the best thing ever for this generation of ‘adulters’ if they let it be. I’m a visual learner once I watch a video I’m good to go. Redid a bathroom and changed out our Tahoe’s ABS module failed after 107K miles. One saved me 15K the other saved me $600.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dealer gets $200, but Chevy is pretty reasonable. I have people on my TEAM that call it adulting. LOL They brag when they change a microwave lightbulb.

YouTube is the best thing ever for this generation of ‘adulters’ if they let it be. I’m a visual learner once I watch a video I’m good to go. Redid a bathroom and changed out our Tahoe’s ABS module failed after 107K miles. One saved me 15K the other saved me $600.
What does this have to do with you?

Some people are uncomfortable doing their own maintenance for the reasons listed above.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Adulting.
that's the first I've heard of that term so I looked it up.

I want my teenage son to "ADULT" more. lol

last month I asked him to come help me change the oil on the Palisade, so he would see how easy it is and get more comfortable with cars. He declined and I didn't feel like forcing the issue that day. In the near future, for the next oil change on any of my cars, I'll have him do it under my guidance. Best way to learn is by doing, I always say!

hahaha

Eric, you're right. Some are afraid of breaking their car. I have a brother in law who won't work on his brakes because he's afraid of doing something wrong on such an important safety component on his car. He has 4 cars so it's that he needs to rely on any one car to get him around. But I think his fear is unfounded. Changing brake pads, or a rotor, and bleeding brake fluid is actually a very simple task, and I trust myself to do it right or even better than a shop that might take a shortcut. Then again, not everyone is mechanically inclined, and that's fine too. Different strokes....

Anyway, I failed. I didn't stay on topic.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just did a brake job in my Z06 and an oil change after our track event. Save myself around $300 in dealer labor. The adulting piece comes up all the time with regard to anything home related. A sociologist would have to determine why - delayed household creation, home ownership. I was a father, husband and homeowner at 22. We had no money to repair anything so I had to learn on my own.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Eric, you're right. Some are afraid of breaking their car. I have a brother in law who won't work on his brakes because he's afraid of doing something wrong on such an important safety component on his car. He has 4 cars so it's that he needs to rely on any one car to get him around. But I think his fear is unfounded. Changing brake pads, or a rotor, and bleeding brake fluid is actually a very simple task, and I trust myself to do it right or even better than a shop that might take a shortcut. Then again, not everyone is mechanically inclined, and that's fine too. Different strokes....
Yeah, to each their own. I can totally see how someone who doesn't know much about that stuff would not want to do it, for fear of damaging something, on a vehicle that they need daily. Particularly when it's still under warranty, and when Hyundai offers these services for free for 3 years.

I was just responding to Narcissus up above...

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
165 Posts
Since this thread is about oil changes now let me add to it 😃
Not only do I not know how to do it I also don't care to know that particular task either. I don't have the tools or know how and it's just not worth my time either. My dealer usually has oil changes for $24.99

Then if you do it yourself you also have to put all the old oil somewhere and then dispose of it properly. I am not saving anything buying the oil, filter, doing the labor, and cleanup/disposal vs dealer

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wish mine were $25. I’ll only run synthetic and 10 quarts is a lot. I don’t mind the effort to save some dough and know it’s done right.

·
Registered
451 Posts
yeah, I see your point jetrocket11. it's not always a money saver when factoring in the cost of our time, that's for sure.

nowadays my oil can be put on the curb to be picked up with recycling. years ago I had to haul it to the auto parts store to dump it into their big vat for recycling.

it's cathartic for me to work on my car. I enjoy gardening too and trying to do as many of the projects around my house as possible. I have spare time. Look at the time I waste on this forum. hahahah

61 - 80 of 84 Posts