Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Totally new here on palisadeforum!

I’m going to take my car to an Oreilly’s in the morning to see if they can check the battery but I’m curious if this is something anyone has experienced before.

My car battery was dead yesterday from (what I’m guessing) leaving the dashcam plugged in. We’re also in an area with 90 degree weather. AAA came and jumped the car but the guy wasn’t a legit AAA person with any tools other than a jump starter power pack.

I drove a bit and left the car running for 40 minutes. I thought this would charge the battery back up. Drove it two short trips more after that. Today as I was driving, the car shut down and all the electrical flashed over and over as the car attempted to start the engine again. It put itself automatically into neutral and let me coast to a stop, then automatically put itself into park and would not start up again.

What’s strange is the lights and everything else were on just fine but when I would try to start the engine, it would start for a second and then shut off. Any ideas of what this could possibly be? I have a feeling this isn’t just a dead battery.
Another side note - I had installed the dashcam into the fuse box to the bottom left of the steering wheel. I used the correct spare fuse slot. But after my car died the first time, I unplugged the camera from the fuse box and left the spare fuse slot empty. I didn’t reinstall the 10amp fuse. Would that cause anything weird? Just trying to see if anyone else has gone through something like this and how they fixed!

·
Registered
Waiting on a 2023 Palisade Calligraphy (Steel Graphite Exterior & Black Interior)
125 Posts
It could be a bad alternator. If that is the case the engine will not recharge the battery. A typical cue is having your running lights dim while driving.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So many possibilities that it i impossible to speculate on them all. Batteries fail in the heat. After getting the battery checked at O'Riely's contact your dealer. It may be covered .

·
Registered
18 Posts

I’m going to take my car to an Oreilly’s in the morning to see if they can check the battery but I’m curious if this is something anyone has experienced before.

My car battery was dead yesterday from (what I’m guessing) leaving the dashcam plugged in. We’re also in an area with 90 degree weather. AAA came and jumped the car but the guy wasn’t a legit AAA person with any tools other than a jump starter power pack.

I drove a bit and left the car running for 40 minutes. I thought this would charge the battery back up. Drove it two short trips more after that. Today as I was driving, the car shut down and all the electrical flashed over and over as the car attempted to start the engine again. It put itself automatically into neutral and let me coast to a stop, then automatically put itself into park and would not start up again.

What’s strange is the lights and everything else were on just fine but when I would try to start the engine, it would start for a second and then shut off. Any ideas of what this could possibly be? I have a feeling this isn’t just a dead battery.
Another side note - I had installed the dashcam into the fuse box to the bottom left of the steering wheel. I used the correct spare fuse slot. But after my car died the first time, I unplugged the camera from the fuse box and left the spare fuse slot empty. I didn’t reinstall the 10amp fuse. Would that cause anything weird? Just trying to see if anyone else has gone through something like this and how they fixed!
Sounds oddly like my 2017 Elantra giving intermittent starting problems, dealer put in a new battery, checked charging system. No problem found. But it kept happening, until the dealer replaced the first replacement battery, and found the positive cable clamp wasn’t gripping the battery post hard enough to carry the current reliably. They actually had shims to make up the slight gap. No problem since!

·
Registered
28 Posts

Did you get this fixed? My limited shut off yesterday bringing my dog back from the vet. I had the FOB in the car and the car running for about 8 minutes checking on him three times. No issues with the car but after putting the car in drive, I drove about a half mile and my engin shut off and I got an engine failure warning. I started and drove and same thing in another half hour. I pulled over turned it off sat bitching for about two minutes and strarted it again and went home about 35 minite drive nothing. I read there is an update now and to take it in. I believe because they have the car automatically shut off after about 3 minutes with remote start that I set something off. These GDI engines really don't idle long without a lot of carbon build up so I am going to take it in and ask that exact question about idling

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh do you think I shouldn’t mention the dashcam? I’ve removed it and set the fuses back to the way they were. But the cables are still running along the side and fuse box. They just aren’t connected anymore.
There is a law that protects you from anyone voiding your warranty until they can PROVE that was the problem and then only then for that particular failure. If you have your dash cam attached to your fuse box preferably with T fillngs, or so I was told, you don't have any issues with that. It is cutting into your electrical harness they try to void you with but still they have to prove that caused the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts