Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
So my dealer just called me back and it seems that if you get a Palisade now that has the 7-pin pre-wiring that you can’t get any tow hitch wiring harness at all. At least from Hyundai. This is because they have no way to wire a 4-pin (if one would be happy with just 4 pins) to the 7-pin and they haven’t yet developed the 7-pin harness. This seems like a bit of a screwup that they would not have had this ready in time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So my dealer just called me back and it seems that if you get a Palisade now that has the 7-pin pre-wiring that you can’t get any tow hitch wiring harness at all. At least from Hyundai. This is because they have no way to wire a 4-pin (if one would be happy with just 4 pins) to the 7-pin and they haven’t yet developed the 7-pin harness. This seems like a bit of a screwup that they would not have had this ready in time.
I'm not sure what your dealer is telling you is entirely correct. If you watch this video you'll see how easy it is to attach a 4 pin connector (https://www.etrailer.com/p-118784.html) to the 7 wire pre-wire plug on a Palisade. Something you can easily do yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you think Hyundai will come out with tow harness and brake controller for the 2021 at some point?

Do you know where the pre-wire harness that I can see at the driver's side rear terminates at the other end? What does that look like?
Based on this video (Kia Telluride but should be the same on it's sister the Hyundai Palisade) there is no easy brake controller plug under the dash. You have to wire it in by first getting power from the driver side fuse box and then run a wire through the fire wall and splice into the brake wire under the hood. I'm really feeling I made a big mistake buying this Palisade, first I have the smelly interior that has no fix and now I find out it's not easily setup to tow 5000lbs. Incidently, the only way they rate the Palisade to have a SAFE 5000lb towing capability is by using a brake controller!

It looks like this Curt Bluetooth controller might do away with the need for a dash wired model, Amazon.com: CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection, Proportional. I think I would try it before I take on a big wiring project.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
444 Posts
A lot of cars do not have the plug and play connection under the dash. You'll find that trailer brakes are part of the "When Properly Equipped" tow rating on most cars. For example, they are required on any trailer over 1,000lbs for the Chevy Traverse to make the 5,000 towing capacity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ended up installing a four-pin to 7-pin adapter on my new 2021 Palisade,and an Autowbrake on my Casita travel trailer, so that I could tow it with the Palisade. Since then I have towed the Casita on two trips, both of which involved mountain roads with steep descents and sharp turns. The Autowbrake seems to work very well. I am very relieved to have found an effective solution to the problem of not being able to get a brake controller and 7-pin wiring harness for the 2021 Palisade. Also, the techs at Autowbrake were very helpful and expert in helping me get the device installed and working correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have identified the mating connector at FindPigtails.com :

You could in theory take this product and combine it with a standard 7-way harness like:
and just use butt splices to splice the wires together.

It seems the part from pigtails is unreasonably expensive so I am going to try and find another source for it. But this solution essentially allows you to build your harness in the comfort ofa workbench and then install it (without having to cut wires/connectors on your vehicle).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you think Hyundai will come out with tow harness and brake controller for the 2021 at some point?

Do you know where the pre-wire harness that I can see at the driver's side rear terminates at the other end? What does that look like?
Since the connectors at the bumper and under the dash are proprietary, I am assuming that Hyundai will come out with a 7-pin harness for both ends in the near future and make it available on their online store. This is also what the dealerships I've asked about this have told me. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s mostly proprietary but at least two other vendors sell it (the previously posted vendor and this one here:
CET1238M )

That and etrailer of course has managed to get some and incorporate into their product. So somehow it’s possible to either get/buy some somewhere or have them made. I have reached out to a few vendors on Alibaba to see if they can identify/make it for me. If so, I might be able to get them to make a complete harness. I’ll order a 1000 of these if I need to and just dump them on Amazon so that we (palisade owners) will finally have a good/clean/reasonably priced option.

·
Super Moderator
1,388 Posts
KIA sells a 7 pin cable for the Telluride.
Hyundai service Tech told me it fits the Palisade

·
Registered
6 Posts
KIA sells a 7 pin cable for the Telluride.
Hyundai service Tech told me it fits the Palisade
Yes, it’s also $200 retail which seems absurd for something that should cost $50-75. And yes, I’m aware you can get this online for $140 but even that seems unreasonable IMO.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
444 Posts
Yes, it’s also $200 retail which seems absurd for something that should cost $50-75. And yes, I’m aware you can get this online for $140 but even that seems unreasonable IMO.
When have you ever found an accessory from a dealer to be priced reasonably compared to an aftermarket vendor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
When have you ever found an accessory from a dealer to be priced reasonably compared to an aftermarket vendor?
That’s a good point. In any case, there should be clear cut answer/product from Hyundai and at least one aftermarket option specifically for our car. Right now, we have neither do I guess I am trying to get us an aftermarket option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fyi. I used the Kia 7 pin harness wiring harness package (for wiring up the 7 pin connector and a P2 brake controller upfront). While expensive (yes...$140 online as someone noted), it was a very easy install (mostly plug and play). Have take my trailer out twice now with no issues with the wiring and the brake controller. There's another thread on this same topic where you can find pictures and other comments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am I correct that the Kia 7-pin harness only works with the 2021 Palisade?
Only the ‘21 has the power prewired into the 12 pin orange connector in the vehicle. If you have a ‘20, you can still use the Kia product but you will have to figure something out for power (maybe cut those wires from the connector and splice more wire up to the battery?).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only the ‘21 has the power prewired into the 12 pin orange connector in the vehicle. If you have a ‘20, you can still use the Kia product but you will have to figure something out for power (maybe cut those wires from the connector and splice more wire up to the battery?).
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll probably just run a line to the battery like I’ve done on our other vehicle. The harness would’ve been a nice way to save some time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts