Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Has anyone actually gotten a 7-pin wiring harness attached and a brake controller installed in a 2021 Palisade?

I see posts that the 2021 comes pre-wired for 7-pin from the factory, but the dealers and RV shop are saying they can't get me set up to tow a trailer with brakes.

Any advice appreciated!!

MIchael

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
490 Posts
The 2020 SEL I have was prewired for a 4 pin. Under the car (on the driver's side) there is a panel you can take off and find where the 4 pin harness plugs into. Perhaps it is the same way on the 2021, only for a 7 pin harness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2021 came with a hitch and 4-pin connection. Haven’t looked to see if the harness could accommodate a 7-pin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2020 SEL I have was prewired for a 4 pin. Under the car (on the driver's side) there is a panel you can take off and find where the 4 pin harness plugs into. Perhaps it is the same way on the 2021, only for a 7 pin harness.
Thanks; I will take a look and see if they connected a 4-pin harness at a 7-pin junction box!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning, the tech at my local RV place took the panel off covering the connector between the pre-wiring and the 4-pin wiring harness that the Hyundai dealer installed. Sure enough, there are 8 wires going into the connector socket from the vehicle side and 6 coming out of the plug going out to the trailer side. The problem is just that Hyundai did not have any 7-pin wiring harnesses, so the dealer put on a 4-pin one. Now the tech is researching how a brake controller would be integrated if and when we can get a 7-pin harness.

Meanwhile, I have ordered an Autowbrake brake controller (Autowbrake), that installs on the trailer with no wiring to the tow vehicle. Galpin will install that on Thursday. I may not need anything else for a while, as the reviews make the Autowbrake sound like a great solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2021 came with a hitch and 4-pin connection. Haven’t looked to see if the harness could accommodate a 7-pin.
I got under my 2021 Palisade yesterday and looked at the socket where the dealer plugged in the 4-pin harness. Sure enough, the receiver side DOES have 3 more wires coming into it from the vehicle side. Dealer says Hyundai hasn't gotten a 7-pin wiring harness out yet.

In the meantime, I'm installing an Autowbrake on my trailer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just filed a complaint with Hyundai to request that my new 2021 Palisade, which only came with a 4 pin, be corrected to have the standard 7 pin, that it is should have been delivered with. When I brought my 2021 Palisade I specifically identified this error on my vehicle and all they could say is we don't know officially a 7 pin is standard so take it up with Hyundai when they update their website. That's ridiculous, it should have been right when I bought it. What other standard features are us early 2021 Palisade owners missing!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I just filed a complaint with Hyundai to request that my new 2021 Palisade, which only came with a 4 pin, be corrected to have the standard 7 pin, that it is should have been delivered with. When I brought my 2021 Palisade I specifically identified this error on my vehicle and all they could say is we don't know officially a 7 pin is standard so take it up with Hyundai when they update their website. That's ridiculous, it should have been right when I bought it. What other standard features are us early 2021 Palisade owners missing!
Was the tow hitch on your window sticker or a dealer add on? Are you missing the 7 wire pre-wire to the wheel well or just have a 4 wire adapter harness going to the hitch from the wheel well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Was the tow hitch on your window sticker or a dealer add on? Are you missing the 7 wire pre-wire to the wheel well or just have a 4 wire adapter harness going to the hitch from the wheel well?
It was listed as a factory option on the original window sticker. It just said Tow hitch no definition of tow plug connector. The window sticker also doesn't define what the trailer package pre-wire consists of, but the updated Hyundai website says a 2021 Palisade comes standard with a 7 pin tow plug pre-wire. So the tow hitch option should come with a 7 pin tow plug connector, not a 4 pin. Which is what mine came with. Why offer a 7 pin pre-wire and not put a 7 pin plug connector on the tow hitch, that doesn't make sense. I don't know what I have as the pre-wire, can some one post a picture or give directions of where I can look for my pre-wire?

·
Registered
944 Posts
So the tow hitch option should come with a 7 pin tow plug connector, not a 4 pin
I agree that it should come with that. It's much easier to remedy a 4 pin adapter coming off 7 pin pre-wire than it is to remedy 4 pin pre-wire though.

You'll want to get under the back of the car and drop the splash guard that's in the bumper corner on the opposite side of the muffler. If you hop on youtube, there are se great videos that show how to install a hitch and then tow harness. It's a very easy process. That'll give you access to the pre-wiring so you can see what's in there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found a couple of good videos and see this is what the 7 wire plug pre-wire looks like. Its located on the drivers side rear corner under a big plastic cover. So in theory this plug contains the tail lights, brake controller and 12v positve and negative wires. If a Hyundai wiring harness isn't available one could just cut this plug off and wire a new plug/harness in themselves, https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Hyundai/Santa+Fe/Hopkins/HM40975-11998.html. It's easy enough, just cut the vehicle pre-wire plug off and splice all the wires together. Then I'd have a nice looking dual plug setup.

Next question I have is there a pre-wire plug up in the dash to easily add a brake controller or do you have to wire up to the fuse box for power and into the brake wires to add a controller?

·
Registered
944 Posts
To prevent confusion, let's define some terms and talk briefly about supply chain logistics.

There is the wiring harness on the car that goes into the frame (what you're seeing in that video screen shot). Let's call that the pre-wiring harness.

Then there is the wiring that runs from that plug to the tow hitch. Let's call that the tow hitch harness.

All the Palisades come with the pre-wiring harness. The 2020s had a 4 wire set up, 21s have a 7 wire. The tow hitch harness doesn't come with the vehicle. It is included with the tow hitch.

The tow hitch is a port installed accessory. It isn't installed at the factory. (As is the case with all the accessories on your window sticker with an asterisk next to them).

What has likely occurred here is your vehicle has the 7 wire pre-wire harness, as it's a 21, but when the tow hitch was installed at the port, they probably installed a 4 pin tow hitch harness. If that's the case, this should be a very simple fix. You just need the correct tow hitch harness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My sorry dealer claimed the tow hitch was factory installed not dealer installed. But I completely understand what you are saying and in the absence of a Hyundai 7 pin tow hitch harness that fits their on vehicle 7 pin pre-wire, I can wire up something on my own. I do want confirmation from Hyundai that their 2021 Tow hitch option only comes with a 4 pin plug, otherwise I'm holding them/dealer accountable to install what was supported to be the 2021 tow hitch option. Then the only other detail to figure out is how to install a break controller. This could be much more complicated if Hyundai doesn't have an easy plug in for one.

·
Registered
944 Posts
My sorry dealer claimed the tow hitch was factory installed not dealer installed.
It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't differentiate between port installed and factory installed. As far as they're concerned, it showed up to them with the tow hitch on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a couple of good videos and see this is what the 7 wire plug pre-wire looks like. Its located on the drivers side rear corner under a big plastic cover. So in theory this plug contains the tail lights, brake controller and 12v positve and negative wires. If a Hyundai wiring harness isn't available one could just cut this plug off and wire a new plug/harness in themselves, Amazon.com: CURT 57672 Dual-Output 4-Way Flat Vehicle-Side to 7-Way RV Blade Trailer Wiring Adapter: Automotive, just supply your own wire (Blue 12 AWG , Yellow 14 AWG, Black 10AWG gauge) for the other 3 wires and use the Hyundai supplied 4 pin. Then I'd have a nice looking dual plug setup. If this is correct I can easily do myself.

Next question I have is there a pre-wire plug up in the dash to easily add a brake controller or do you have to wire up to the fuse box for power and into the brake wires to add a controller?

View attachment 2144
Has anyone looked under the dash to see if there is a socket for brake controller? What would it look like. I started to take the panels beside and above the driver's knee off to have a look, but found too many interconnected panels and parts and decided to leave it to the pros.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think Hyundai will come out with tow harness and brake controller for the 2021 at some point?

Do you know where the pre-wire harness that I can see at the driver's side rear terminates at the other end? What does that look like?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I encountered this today as I have a 2021 that I will be picking up soon and wanted to get the hitch receiver and hitch harness installed at the dealer. I raised the issue of 7-pin and the dealer has a call into Hyundai but so far it seems that 4-pin is the only option.

I actually thought that the 7-pin pre-wiring was only for Calligraphy models but I see in this thread that it’s apparently for all 2021 models?

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
490 Posts
Do you think Hyundai will come out with tow harness and brake controller for the 2021 at some point?

Do you know where the pre-wire harness that I can see at the driver's side rear terminates at the other end? What does that look like?
Are you asking about where the harness ends in the back? Look at the image in post #12. If you are asking where it is up front, pretty sure there isn't a single connector for it, but rather just wires heading to the back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts