Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new-to-me 2020 Limited last December. Today (I feel sick about this) in a drive-thru car wash, I scrubbed the car wash’s metal guide rails with both right side tires. Both front and rear wheels now have some road rash, and oddly... the paint appears to be chipping off a few of the “spokes” near the interior. I can only figure that the chipping was caused by the pressure applied by the rails as they squished my tires. Because certainly no contact was made there.

Does anyone know if there’s a touch up paint and clear coat to match there wheels in particular? Even if I can’t repair the outer scrapes, I’d at least like to prevent further chipping from the inside.
CBAE9DA6-5CDB-4986-B24F-992FDFA8BE1A.jpeg

·
Registered
944 Posts
The paint peeling on the side is odd. I'd inquire about a warranty replacement there before doing anything. That looks like poor paint adhesion. There's no way the rails pushing on the tires had anything to do with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint peeling on the side is odd. I'd inquire about a warranty replacement there before doing anything. That looks like poor paint adhesion. There's no way the rails pushing on the tires had anything to do with that.
It definitely seems an odd place for the wheel to be affected by contact with a metal guide rail. 🤔 I’ll look into possible warranty replacement/repair. Thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
37 Posts
For the "Curb Rash", the circled pic of the outer rim closest to the tire, try one of these:
This... "Easy Fix"
or
This ..."Slightly more involved, but with better looking results"

I have tried nor am I affiliated with either product.

For the peeling paint, (on the inner parts of the rim) might be a trip to the dealer for a possible defect that they may be able to address.

Addendum: I really don't think the car wash guide system did that damage to your rim. I know you don't want to hear that, but if the car wash has that problem, they would have customers posting pics like this all over social(ist) media complain of this problem. I believe the curb rash is exactly that and the interior deformation of the paint is a defect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Embarrassingly, it’s not the guide rail system at fault but my poor navigation skills. The entrance to this particular wash involves a 90°turn (it’s in a very tight/congested gas station lot). If the rash didn’t happen here, then it happened while my husband was driving the car. Not impossible, but pretty unlikely based on 22 years of observation. 😄 (that’s my way of admitting who the better driver is...) In any case, the chipping paint on the inside is more concerning because it will easily flake off when I touch it. I want to stop that from happening. I’ll look into the products you recommend for the curb rash. And check in with the dealer re the peeling paint. Thank you so much for your input!

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
My dealerships bodyshop repairs them for a very good price. $35.00 on my last car.
I'd take to dealer and ask about the peeling inside . looks like from stones or gravel
striking from inside of wheels.
You can also buy kits like Amazon.com: Visbella DIY Alloy Wheel Repair Adhesive Kit Rim Surface Damage Car Auto Rim Dent Scratch Care (Paper Packaging) (hub-227): Automotive
if you are handy. They will not repair like a real body shop will do, But makes it look better.
You might just want to wait as you may get more. I had 3 on my last car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts