Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folk!
I took my 2021 Palisade to the dealer yesterday for its 15,000 mile oil change / tire rotation. At check in, the service advisor asked if I wanted the full 15,000 mile service which included lubing the throttle body, bottle of injection cleaner in the gas tank, rebalance the tires & other things I don’t remember. I said no. Mostly because I would want lead time before committing to sit in the waiting room for that work. Also, I think those things are not necessary, certainly not at 15,000 miles and now I see they are not mentioned in the owner’s manual. Has Hyundai recommended these things to you? Have you had it done? I would do the lubing, if it’s really recommended but rebalancing the tires just sounds like a money generator.
Thx!

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
723 Posts
Hey folk!
I took my 2021 Palisade to the dealer yesterday for its 15,000 mile oil change / tire rotation. At check in, the service advisor asked if I wanted the full 15,000 mile service which included lubing the throttle body, bottle of injection cleaner in the gas tank, rebalance the tires & other things I don’t remember. I said no. Mostly because I would want lead time before committing to sit in the waiting room for that work. Also, I think those things are not necessary, certainly not at 15,000 miles and now I see they are not mentioned in the owner’s manual. Has Hyundai recommended these things to you? Have you had it done? I would do the lubing, if it’s really recommended but rebalancing the tires just sounds like a money generator.
Thx!
Wasn't asked at mine but regarding rebalancing tires I would recommend. As you lose tire tread and rotate them, I think it's required, but just my opinion but if you're not having vibrations then don't worry about it. But yeah complete BS if they are trying to recommend stuff not in the manual.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Normal, expected but not welcome, upselling. Advisors are trained to load up the bill. I've gone over 100,000 kilometers without wheel balancing. Check wear when rotating, it will show any issues in alignment as well. More likely an alignment issue will show before a balance issue. Injector cleaner less needed now but you can buy a bottle at Wal-Mart etc and dump in before a fill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey folk!
Thx!
I just had my 15,000 miles service yesterday also. Rebalancing wasn't mentioned, but injector/throttle body cleaner was. I responded that I use Top Tier gasoline and he agreed that I didn't need it. I believe that is what my manual says too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I’m probably not getting top tier gas at Circle K so maybe I need to feed my Pali some injector cleaner.
Here are the companies that have Top Tier: TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands
I occasionally mix in some grocery store gas, but use Top Tier fuel most of the time. From what I've read, it can make a difference over the long term.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 2013 Ford Focus that would bog down when it got hot. It ran better with top tier gas. Stupid car really liked premium. Interesting that Costco sells top tier, I wouldn’t have expected that.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a 2013 Ford Focus that would bog down when it got hot. It ran better with top tier gas. Stupid car really liked premium. Interesting that Costco sells top tier, I wouldn’t have expected that.
Timely thread, 15 K service is on my radar too. I am planning on the oil change and tire rotation, nothing more.

Costco has great gas and usually is cheaper than the competition. I try to use only Costco, even on road trips we seek out for it as much as possible.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Upselling is pretty standard. We used to have a Kia Sedona and our one and only local Kia dealer really went over the line. I took it in for a 30K service and the advisor tried to sell over $700 of unneeded service items, from throttle body cleaner to trans flush and everything in between. Where he really went overboard was stating that my warranty would be void if I didn't follow his recommendations. Several things resulted from his "recommendations" - 1) Told him to pound salt, 2) filed a complaint with Kia, 3) sold the Kia and 4) Never considered a Telluride before buying my Palisade.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade SEL Moonlight Cloud
396 Posts
Rotate the tires without rebalancing them? One would think a rotate would include a rebalancing.

Apparently once a tire is in balance, there is no need to re-balance when rotating. Will remember that when they suggest it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I traded my '17 Honda Ridgeline in on my Palisade and will be happy to be back at my Hyundai dealer for service for this very issue. My home Hyundai dealer never pushed unneeded service on me for my 2012 Santa Fe, which I still own. The two Honda dealers I used always said "we recommend" and I had to ask who "we" are. Never got a maintainence schedule from Honda so was at the mercy of the dealers but never did trust that what they said was from Honda. Dealer up north used a program - Car Doc, which had a long list of items for them to do every time it went in and I did not subscribe to it. Florida dealer said they haven't used anything like that in 20 years. But when the injectors failed at 45k north said it was covered, south said it would be $1500 dollars and I was stuck in Florida arguing it out. They got it covered by Honda finally. First and last Honda. Now I have a schedule, in the manual for my Pali and will go by that. I made them show it to me when I first went in to see the vehicle. As to injector cleaner, I do use that now, one my mechanic recommended, Techron, available in Walmart. The dealer will use the same thing and triple charge for it. When they say to use a top tier gas they mean like Mobil, Shell, etc. Their fuels have a fuel additive in them to clean the fuel system. The Honda injectors were clearly faulty and a bulletin was finally put out on it, but they avoided a recall by extending the milage warranty for them. After all, a recall would look bad. I'm glad to be back in a Hyundai.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade
16 Posts
I do not think adding Fuel System Cleaner Additive (as so named on the back of the Quick Reference Guide) is such a bad idea regardless of Top Tier Gas use. The Owner's manual suggests "Fuel Additives" with every oil and filter change if Top Tier gas is not available. The Quick Reference Guide did not cite the gasoline type condition. There is a fair amount of controversy on various sites about gasoline companies addition of detergents regarding how much is added and whether it is more marketing than value-added.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used Amsoil Performance Improver for since 1976. Still do. Requires a bottle poured into tank every several thousand miles. On recent 2 week trip, each time I filled at a Costco, my mileage over that tankful was better than when using another brand.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
723 Posts
I've used Amsoil Performance Improver for since 1976. Still do. Requires a bottle poured into tank every several thousand miles. On recent 2 week trip, each time I filled at a Costco, my mileage over that tankful was better than when using another brand.
Never used any of this stuff. Honestly don't know the difference and I guess maybe because I have never kept a vehicle more than 130-150K miles. But is the MPG that much better to warrant the cost of the product? I don't know what you're realistically getting with MPG but approx 2 MPG is about what maybe 1.5 gallons saved so maybe $4 saved with current gas prices in my area?

But like I said, I'm not denouncing the product, just never used it and unsure of true benefits.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Calligraphy, Hyper White Exterior with Light Beige Interior
288 Posts
Most dealers try to increase their profits at your expense. Do just what's required by the manual unless you're having problems and then see if it's covered under warranty. Extra stuff like injector cleaners, etc. are almost always a unneeded waste of money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I’m probably not getting top tier gas at Circle K so maybe I need to feed my Pali some injector cleaner.
Injector cleaner at recommend intervals never hurts.

Be cautious of using Higher or Lower grades gasoline in any vehicle. Many studies illustrate visible damage is possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my car in February of 2020. And at that time Hyundai added 3 years of complimentary maintenance on new models. The Hyundai complementary maintenance program includes oil and filter changes plus tire rotation at normal factory scheduled intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
723 Posts
I bought my car in February of 2020. And at that time Hyundai added 3 years of complimentary maintenance on new models. The Hyundai complementary maintenance program includes oil and filter changes plus tire rotation at normal factory scheduled intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
Don't think that's the issue, it's what to do at 15K miles and the unnecessary addons. As already stated, the manual does recommend fuel additive every 7500 miles ONLY IF you don't use Top Tier gasoline.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts